Paris Marathon 2016

5 watchers
Jan 2016
4:21pm, 27 Jan 2016
16,923 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I can't find a thread for this, so I figured I'd get in first...

How's it going, gang?

I was going to be doing this with my family in tow, but life's got in the way, so I'm going to be rattling around Paris for a few days on my lonesome, if anyone's up for meeting up...
Jan 2016
9:32pm, 27 Jan 2016
4,170 posts
  •  
Wooters
Me and my mate from 'that there' London are doing it, he's not on Fetch despite my instance!

Happy to meet up, always good to see fellow fetchies and share tips etc.

We're getting to Paris about midday Friday, going straight to the event village to collect our numbers, then relaxing till race day.

Training's going well.
Jan 2016
9:46pm, 27 Jan 2016
5 posts
  •  
mattleydon
I'll be there, third marathon for me and my second time running Paris.
Jan 2016
10:10pm, 27 Jan 2016
4,173 posts
  •  
Wooters
Hello Matt

Your story is very much like mine, started running to get fit and shape up. My first time doing Paris, silly question but how is it? Anything to look out for?
Jan 2016
10:33pm, 27 Jan 2016
16,926 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Paris is a great one for tourism. You see the lot!
Jan 2016
7:53am, 28 Jan 2016
1,392 posts
  •  
Fitz
Wooters, things to look out for, from what I remember (ran it once, 2013, PeeeBeee!!!):

Start and finish are about a half-mile apart, on different "legs" of the roads radiating out from Arc de Triomphe. Not a problem in itself but worth bearing in mind if you're arranging to meet people both before AND after. There's nothing worse than an un-necessary walk after running 26 miles.

Bloody freezing at the start when I ran it, but very quickly warmed to mid-teens Celsius. Dress for the second mile but bring a warm throwaway for the start.

There was massive congestion of people trying to get to the start pens through very narrow gaps. In the end loads were climbing over high fences (5-6ft high) to get in. Arrive early if you don't need the aggro.

Nice wide road (Champs Elysee, Place de la Concorde) at the start to ease congestion and let everyone sort out their pace, then good crowds on the streets, nice atmosphere. Gets a bit quiet at the far end (Parc de Vincennes) before heading back to town.

On the way back, the route follows the north side of the Seine. There's a few undulations for underpasses and then a particularly long tunnel which is dark, miserable and choking with exhaust fumes (even though it's closed to traffic on the day). Things get better after that when you emerge into bright sunshine and views of Eiffel Tower, but I hated that tunnel.

Route here, 2013 version. Don't know if it has changed since.
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/route-1310428

Beware the French. No, wait. What I mean is, they have an odd take on aid stations. Rather than walk or run through, grabbing water as they go, many of them will come to a complete stop to take their water, chat to the aiders, spark up a crafty Gauloise, that kind of thing. Beware pile-ups as you try to cruise through. Or, join them. I can't remember Paris but certainly in Nice (which I've done 5 times) aid stations near the end are stocked with all kinds of wonders - water, go-faster juice, flat coke, dried fruits, chocolate, sugar lumps, stop and have a picnic!

Oh, and if your go-faster juice of choice is Lucozade Sport, bring your own. They don't sell it in France. They have Gatorade but for some reason that makes me go wee-wees too much. Too much info?

Enjoy. I loved it and will deffo do it again one day.
Jan 2016
8:01am, 28 Jan 2016
6 posts
  •  
mattleydon
Not much more to add to the description supplied by Fitz.

Last year was hot and I think at that time of year the temperature can vary massively. The tunnel was a bit odd, lots of music blaring so a little bit disorientating. I also lost signal on my garmin so be wary of that if pacing yourself by your watch. I did find the last few miles tough as there was very little support and no water stations which i the heat was a struggle. You have to run down some cobbled roads which people told me would be difficult but I didn't notice them

Having said that I did enjoy the experience and I obviously liked it enough to go back
Jan 2016
9:35am, 28 Jan 2016
3,102 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
There are toilets in the start pens, but very few. my advice would be to make sure you use the ones outside before you get into the pens.

Be careful at aid stations, as they give out oranges so the skins on the ground are very slippery

most of all enjoy. I love Paris :)
Jan 2016
9:40am, 28 Jan 2016
9,191 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I always here that people are just pissing all over each other before the start gun goes off.
Jan 2016
1:48pm, 29 Jan 2016
4,175 posts
  •  
Wooters
Thanks all for the info, some useful things I need to be aware off especially the toilets in the pens.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I can't find a thread for this, so I figured I'd get in first...

How's it going, gang?

I wa...