Paris Marathon 2015

21 watchers
Apr 2015
3:56am, 13 Apr 2015
5,100 posts
  •  
Kimbles
Well done on the PBs. My friend got a stinker if a PB today. Loads of tears and snotters from us at the end 😀
Apr 2015
5:44am, 13 Apr 2015
31,447 posts
  •  
Toks
Had a horrible experience and completed in 6.40 on my garmin time, I dont have a finish time yet, lots of sweeping around us slow runners 😣 the weather was just too baking hot and my feet were on fire!
Apr 2015
6:52am, 13 Apr 2015
352 posts
  •  
Gromit
It was terrible toks well done for sticking it out and finishing it !!
Apr 2015
10:09am, 13 Apr 2015
132 posts
  •  
Oranj
Mrs O had a very controlled race, I think she might even have run a negative split. Overtook one or two of the 5h pacers who'd started too fast, for a (just) sub-5 time. Warm-ish for UK runners, but pretty good conditions really. Nice for spectators ;)

The text updates service was this: broken. I got all my text updates at 6:15pm, long after we'd headed home, and in the reverse order 30km, 21.1km, 10km.

It would've been good to have a system for lettered trees to meet under like London. Some bits of the finish area were difficult/impossible to get through and we lost each other for an hour after J crossed the line (we should've agreed to meet at a particular exit beforehand though - didn't think of that)
Apr 2015
10:37am, 13 Apr 2015
133 posts
  •  
Oranj
Hmm, that seems like a bit of a whingeing post but we had a pretty good time all in all. Mrs O's first marathon. She was already asking me when she'd be able to go out running again on the way home :)
Apr 2015
11:00am, 13 Apr 2015
2,271 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
At one point (12 - 13kms I think) I was having such a good time I was worried about my sanity! I was laughing and smiling so much that I had tears running down my face - high fiving all the children, singing the Welsh National Anthem to a Welsh runner.... hmmm, wonder why I didn't sneak in a sub 4?
Apr 2015
2:59pm, 13 Apr 2015
353 posts
  •  
Gromit
Yes I think the system was down with the text updates which was poor as it meant my support crew didn't see me once as they moved on too quickly and missed me at every point , they all came thru hours after the race had finished :-(
Apr 2015
9:15pm, 13 Apr 2015
5,102 posts
  •  
Kimbles
Gromit - that's what happened to me! I got to Notre Dame and missed my friend then raced to 30km mark to find out she passed 10 mins earlier from the app then missed her finishing a)because she rocked the course and b)I wasnt getting updates in time. I managed to get her 40 mins after she finished at the Arc de Triomphe and she had to ask someone to text me.
Apr 2015
9:53pm, 13 Apr 2015
9 posts
  •  
debs1972
Well done everyone out of the 6 of us who travelled only 1 pb I had a great race till 15 miles then nausa kicked in just too warm for me! Need to look at my hydration again!! Our hotel was superb location 5 min walk to start and finish called hotel astrid something to note for next time!!
Apr 2015
10:05am, 14 Apr 2015
1,051 posts
  •  
Spleen
Congratulations all. My time was 3:45:18, a good 5 minutes slower than my PB, but that was set last year in Hamburg in perfect conditions, and it sounds like I can use the heat as an excuse.

I suffered a bit from being put in the sub 3:30 pen for some reason, and although I tried to shut out the other runners, I did go too fast for long periods. My Garmin suggests I did parts of the first half at near 8 minute miles which wasn't sustainable. As we entered the Bois de Vincennes I started to get a very weird feeling, both stiff and disoriented, as my body tried to tell me to slow down. And whenever I did drop down it was like the race was going in fast forward around me - very disconcerting. I slowed down significantly in the third quarter as all that took its toll. But I finished the final 10k very strongly as I finally started to overtake people again.

And although I didn't particularly enjoy miles 13-20 from a racing perspective I loved the whole thing from a general experience perspective. Great course and fantastic support. In places it seemed as if as soon as one band died away another would come into hearing.

Yep, the text messaging was broken for everyone, one of my friends reported that his relations had all the texts long after he'd finished, they said he took over 5 hours (the gun/chip difference probably wasn't clear to non-runners) and he apparently crossed the 35k point after the 40k point. (Cue jokes about dropping his keys.) The mobile app apparently worked very well though - I didn't use it first hand but it seemed pretty spot on as we were sitting in a ludicrously-priced café waiting for the other Southville runners to finish.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hmmm i may be half asleep (being friday and all) but wasn't there a thread started somewhere for ne...