Paris Marathon 2014

11 watchers
Mar 2014
10:54pm, 9 Mar 2014
123 posts
  •  
thisisnatty
Very excited right now! Training going pretty well so far. 'Peak week' coming up so ask me again next Sunday... Ha
Time has flown by and I'm getting that annoying feeling I haven't done enough / as much as I could have, but I have stuck to my training plan fairly solidly and avoided injury and most illness over the winter so should be pleased with that.
Mar 2014
7:18am, 15 Mar 2014
125 posts
  •  
thisisnatty
Good luck all on final LSRs this weekend! Hope it goes well.
Mar 2014
8:13am, 15 Mar 2014
355 posts
  •  
Andy_B
Good luck to you too.
Mar 2014
12:44pm, 15 Mar 2014
396 posts
  •  
Scooba Steve
Yes good luck everyone, getting ready for my 20 miler today - very strong Westerly winds in North East today so getting dropped off 20 mile up the Tyne to run back! Hopefully get some benefit from the wind but mainly trying to stay out of it!

Need to remember to book in at GP to get medical cert signed off too!
Mar 2014
9:38pm, 15 Mar 2014
126 posts
  •  
thisisnatty
Wow loved my 20miler today.

Took advice to drive to disused railway line which has been converted into a 10mile foot/bike/bridle path and is lusciously flat. Made boyf be MTB water boy. Slight headwind on way out but nothing to complain about. Warm but shaded. (Smallened) carb load practice, race outfit and fuelling strategy tested.
First 15k at slow pace, 5k a bit quicker, 5k at M pace (5'49"/km), 5k at Half pace (5'29"/km) then 3k jog down.

Then pub lunch in the village!

I found the pacing very easy and definitely could have done more at M pace in place of the slow stuff earlier on.

Definitely ready for a long sleep now tho!
Mar 2014
11:08am, 16 Mar 2014
397 posts
  •  
Scooba Steve
I weirdly enjoyed my 20 too - normally do out and back runs but got dropped off 20 mile up the river yesterday and ran back home, loved first 10 then flagged a bit between 11-15 then picked back up again, 20th mile was fastest by about 40 seconds so massive confidence boost for Paris 3 weeks today!

Been using some new gels a friend of mine is putting to market 'Carbgel' and tested my fuel strategy yesterday, probably just need to carry a few more and start taking them a little earlier as I think it may have been what caused bit of a wobble at 11 miles.

Well done everyone.
Mar 2014
12:36pm, 16 Mar 2014
356 posts
  •  
Andy_B
Shit last 20+ long run for me today due to last 11.5 miles into strong headwinds that almost stopped me at times (well it felt that way anyway). Character builder!!! Taper starts now thankfully.
Mar 2014
12:38pm, 16 Mar 2014
357 posts
  •  
Andy_B
Well done on your long runs. Nothing quite like a confidence boosting run just before the race. Just trust in your training now and enjoy the final few weeks.
Mar 2014
4:51pm, 18 Mar 2014
383 posts
  •  
M1nty
Hello fellow Paris marathoners :-) Just spotted this thread. For those of you who haven't run it before you are going to be in for a spectacular treat.

If I could give some advice it would be to buy some cheap and nasty jogging bottoms / tops at your local discount clothing store to keep warm whilst you're waiting at the start, and discard them just before your colour wave is set off to run. It was soooo freezing when I was waiting, and I have more body insulation than many :-)

Ran this in 2012 with proper training, following a P&D 18 week plan as guided by HappyG(rrr) and blasted a PB of 3:36. The first 20 miles @ 3:30 pace was the best running ever. Then hung on grimly. Will probably never beat that time so it will always be special.

This year is completely different, with only 6-7 weeks of any training after injury over the winter, and I'll struggle to achieve 4:30. But it's still worth a nice weekend away with the good lady and a fab run to boot. Enjoy :-)
Mar 2014
6:21pm, 18 Mar 2014
4,293 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
Did 20 miles a couple of weekends ago, so 17 miles this weekend and I'm done.

Picking up my completed medical certificate tomorrow from the GPs. Costing me £16, which isn't too bad really.

No great ambitions for a time, though it looks a great race in a lovely city :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Scooba Steve
Paris marathon 2014 thread, doesn't really need a description....