Parental Health Concerns

1 watcher
Apr 2021
11:46am, 18 Apr 2021
24,670 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
In 2009 mum had a heart valve replacement (pig) and was told it would last best part of 20 years.

Before dad died (2019!) the heart consultant put her back on 6 mth check ups as he was concerned. One theory was the replacement valve was too small.

She’s been shielding (aka terrified and locked away) since march last year. Lives alone, 125m away, with 2 cats in a massive house.

More and more frequently over the last weeks I’m noticing in my daily FaceTime that she’s not good. She’s admitting to feeling weak, light headed, tired the whole time. She’s coughing and lethargic and very very down.

She did have the hospital try to get her in in February but she declined as no jab then, she declined next time as no second jab! She’s now fully vaccinated but has said she won’t have anything done as she can’t!

Obviously if she needed surgery I’d go and stay with her. It would be even better if she moved, closer to us maybe we both moved and got a place with a granny annexe. But moving is not an option. A) covid B) she’s can’t even think about it yet because of dad.

So I’m wondering dear medical peeps is there any non surgical things they could offer? How worried should I be? Are these signs of heart failure?

And any advice on what to do with a stubborn lady? She hasn’t even got a panic alarm and although they had a stairlift for dad she has that removed as she didn’t need it (she really does as she can hardly walk)

Thanks xx
Apr 2021
7:27pm, 18 Apr 2021
25,911 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Hi EP - there’s a thread with lots of followers that might provide some useful advice here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/elderly-parents-or-relatives-to-care-for-and-or-worry-about-this-is-the-place-for-you-59879/
Apr 2021
9:07pm, 18 Apr 2021
52,262 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It would help to have an echocardiogram report and a set of up to date blood tests before starting to speculate on treatment options.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
In 2009 mum had a heart valve replacement (pig) and was told it would last best part of 20 years.