•  
PaulaMc
Thanks guys. Lots of food for thought.
Jun 2017
10:55pm, 2 Jun 2017
12,221 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
I work in a legal setting, and the move to paperless has been chaotic. Obviously there's the cultural shift of getting a lot of technophobic people on board. But the reliability of the systems has also been very suspect. It's also led to the whole place becoming very bureaucratic - targets and systems becoming more important than doing the job properly.

An additional challenge for me is that the setting I am in is very multi-agency, and whilst a lot of the users have invested in the tech, my employers have not. So I am still incredibly reliant on paper. I'm not sure whether it is my fastidious approach, or the fact I mix use of paper and IT systems (designed by me for my own needs) - but I am regularly noted for being super-organised.

Not sure if I've been any help (having to be a little obtuse about my work due to policy on 'social media').
Jun 2017
8:45am, 3 Jun 2017
1,361 posts
  •  
FergusG
The ability to work from home wasn't an viable option when I implemented some of my employer's first imaging and workflow systems back in the 90s, but that may be an additional carrot for some of the folks you need to win over.

JK also makes a fair point about the culture side of things - the Workflow aspect of such solutions can provide lots of stats on productivity and turnaround times that may not be welcome by some or even give a true representation of the work/value some of them actually undertake.

I also need to take JK's obtuse approach, but there are companies out there who'll open, scan and index/catalog your inbound mail for you. My postal address is hundreds of miles away from my actual desk.
Jun 2017
11:33am, 3 Jun 2017
12,222 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
For clarity, I did not mean for the winky face to be on my post...
Jun 2017
1:18pm, 3 Jun 2017
5,970 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
It's OK to wink about being obtuse, JK :-)
Mar 2020
9:56am, 7 Mar 2020
118,498 posts
  •  
GregP
It’s less okay to be obtuse about winking

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by PaulaMc
Anyone have any experience of moving towards a 'paperless' office (or at least a large red...

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,278 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here