Paleo/No/Low Carb Diets

105 watchers
Jun 2017
9:54pm, 27 Jun 2017
3,986 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
I have recently gone Paleo/LCHF. I don't really have a lot of choice since it turns out I'm intolerant to oats, rice, yeast, millet and rye. They didn't test for fancy stuff like spelt and sorghum. No wonder the Fodmap diet never sorted my IBS symptoms! Sadly I'm also intolerant to dairy, eggs and coconut, which makes LCHF difficult too. I'm currently following Whole 30 (no eggs) and trying to kick the dark chocolate habit I have developed.
Jun 2017
10:10pm, 27 Jun 2017
5,103 posts
  •  
Wobbling
My coach has suggested I follow LCHF with lots of protein while I can't exercise. I'm on day three and missing crisps. I'm sure in a couple of days I'll be fine but tonight I want crisps...
Oct 2017
7:57pm, 22 Oct 2017
5,600 posts
  •  
Wobbling
*dusts off thread*

Hello MrW and I are giving low carb a go again. Last time I did it I lost zip-all weight but I think I was eating too much protein.

We’re having 30g or less of carbs per meal and 30g or more of healthy fat. We’ve been doing it for a week.

Yesterday I did my first tough-ish session on the turbo; an hour with sprint blocks. In my carb days I wouldn’t have had any recovery food after only an hour of exercise so yesterday I black coffee and got ready to go out.

An hour later I was in a bit of a state; Nauseous, pale, a bit dizzy and MrW gave me chocolate which brought me to normal in minutes. I guess there was a blood sugar issue there.

My question is how do you fuel for training on a low(ish) carb diet? I definitely don’t want to feel like that again but I want to give this a decent chance and train.
Oct 2017
8:01pm, 22 Oct 2017
3,152 posts
  •  
Curly45
Wobbling - I am not counting my macros (too lazy for that), but it takes two to three weeks in my experience to get into the proper fat burning zone that you can exercise hard.

Options are to go down a bit more gently over the next few weeks or just go a bit slower/easier in training.

It does get easier. The adaptation phase is the worst and you have to be quite strict at first.

*caveat is that I have to eat a higher amount of carbs than prescribed as I dont absorb fat well, I did eat a very low carb diet before discovering that though. I do all my training fasted and tend to have 1 day a week where I eat carbs.
Oct 2017
8:06pm, 22 Oct 2017
5,601 posts
  •  
Wobbling
That’s useful, thanks Curly.
Oct 2017
7:36am, 23 Oct 2017
2,896 posts
  •  
TeeBee
+1 for Curly. Stick with it.

I had a dreadful Great South Run when I was just transitioning and bonked really badly. Never been like that again, though.

I've been low Carb for 2 years now. Do all my training fasted, including long runs (though I do keep them really slow). I'm running better than ever.
Oct 2017
4:30pm, 23 Oct 2017
8,249 posts
  •  
Garfield
I'm returning to low Carb after a break of being a little too generous to myself over the last year and a bit. While I'm not huge, I'm developing a small spare tyre...which I hide well.
Oct 2017
6:13pm, 23 Oct 2017
3,411 posts
  •  
Corrah
I need to behave myself more too. Cutting down on carbs keeos my diabetes in check. Life kind of messed things up a bit but going in the right direction again thankfully. :)
Oct 2017
8:58pm, 29 Oct 2017
3,162 posts
  •  
Curly45
Is it getting any easier Wobbling?

Been at a wedding this weekend so had a few days off (much easier when you know trying to be good is impossible and just enjoy the event), but back to the plan today and for the next two weeks at least.

Lovely dinner of beef stir fry with vegetables in a soy and almond butter sauce topped off with sesame seeds :)
Dec 2017
8:46pm, 1 Dec 2017
20,526 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
This cassava-based bread is very nice: paleorunningmomma.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Caprica Vix (RotJ)
Following on from the interview with Tim Noakes on todays marathon talk, has anyone got any experien...