•  
cabletow
beware Ibu in the gut whilst running can lead to poo issues
Apr 2011
12:21pm, 14 Apr 2011
10,184 posts
  •  
hellen
No pain on sitting/ walking so should I still take it during day to get the buildup effect? Would I be better doing the gel when not running so help the stomach?

I often have poo prob c!
Apr 2011
12:29pm, 14 Apr 2011
7,861 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Gel doesnt work any better than pills.

Any effect is likely related to massage of the affected area, rather than anti-inflammatory action- to get from the skin, to the muscle/joint/tendon underneath, it has to go through the blood stream, so the anti-inflammatory effect is the same as taking a very small dose orally.
Try some deep heat, its probably more effective.

Beware brufen if you have gut issues when running. Might be beneficial to take regularly for a few days, dampen down the inflammation, and then miss them out on race day.
Paracetamol shouldn't cause a problem.
Apr 2011
12:35pm, 14 Apr 2011
10,185 posts
  •  
hellen
I have had ibo running before with no prob, often need them at end of ultra

Didn't realise about the build up effect , have just taken a dose, gonna go out for a couple of miles and see how it is

Was thinking gel as it would not give stomach issues

I have some perskindol so will keep massaging that on

Thanks for your help x
Apr 2011
7:28am, 15 Apr 2011
10,186 posts
  •  
hellen
I am pleased to report that para+ibo did the trick
Osteo said to try para on it's own as ibo may not be needed but no time now before Vlm unless I put in a sneaky run this morning

She said itb is now v tight ( I knee that) but it wasn't on Monday. Work was done to loosen it off
Apr 2011
11:50am, 16 Apr 2011
22 posts
  •  
bryano
Sorry if this one has been covered. I am running VLM tmrw. currently have some midish but annoying back pain of the type you get when sitting at a desk all day.

I do also tend to get sore lower back from (my sports massage women tells me) tight hip flexors.

I was thinking of giving my back a coating of ibru gel for the race. I normally get stomach issues from the tablets. Will i get any stomach issues from the gel???
Apr 2011
11:55am, 16 Apr 2011
20,382 posts
  •  
cabletow
You may do but much less (although I doubt the systemic absorbtion is enough to produce any after effect in most - but it depends how much you rub in) - I would advise paracetamol and use Algesal as a rub rather than loads of Ibugel
Apr 2011
3:12pm, 16 Apr 2011
23 posts
  •  
bryano
Ta very much - algesal + ibrugel? or would my back go loopy from such a cockatil of drugs?
Apr 2011
11:07am, 19 Apr 2011
10,197 posts
  •  
hellen
Sorry for the delay in reporting back....

Had massage on Sat at expo and one of the physios put pretty blue tape on my leg!!

As advised on here I was taking ibu+para 4 times a day from I think it was Thurday.

On marathon day took the cocktail 30mins before. Throughout the run it was mostly OK, some of the time I felt nothing, sometimes I felt it a bit niggly but I forgot about it after a few miles when I relaxed! At 3.30 into the race (4 hours after first dose) I started to feel it a bit more. It wasnt that bad and I could have put up with it to the end but I decided to take another dose as I thought if it got worse it would not be good and it would take time for the painkillers to kick in. Took next dose and it didnt get worse, infact it went away again.

Finsihed in 4.08 which isnt a PB but I wasnt going for a PB, it was a lot faster than I have run in a long time. When I got off the train several hours later things hurt again. Yesterday I had a mix of DOMs and hurt but not 100% sure how much was just DOMS, still ache today with DOMs so not sure how much damage/made worse I have done to the injury. I suppose I will not know for a few more days.

thanks for the advise, obviously my priority is to get the injury sorted but I needed to get through VLM

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
I know it's not a good plan but osteopath said to try taking ibo and that I wouldn't be doing dama...