Pain! under the shoulder & down the arm

1 watcher
Jan 2014
6:26pm, 6 Jan 2014
73 posts
  •  
RobinLomax
Ouch ouch ouch!

After a stress free 12 miles yesterday I felt fine today and headed to the gym this evening. Jumped on the treadmill and ran steadily for just over a mile before a horrible unbearable pain hit the top of my back beneath my shoulder blade. I'd never felt anything like it before (not the little aches when you need to relax that go straight away) and it made my arm really ache and I had stop. Really excruciating!

Any idea what this could be? Felt smug about feeling great after yesterday but now totally hacked off. Any tips?
Jan 2014
6:30pm, 6 Jan 2014
10,625 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Is it both sides?
Jan 2014
6:35pm, 6 Jan 2014
74 posts
  •  
RobinLomax
Nope just my left shoulder blade.
Jan 2014
9:28pm, 6 Jan 2014
75 posts
  •  
RobinLomax
Just me?!
Jan 2014
10:52pm, 7 Jan 2014
120 posts
  •  
soozie
I often have a really bad pain in my left shoulder blade. My helpful dr said it is probably caused by running.
Jan 2014
7:11am, 8 Jan 2014
3,482 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Was your 12mile run in very cold weather. I get a similar pain in my left shoulder when it is very cold - my doctor sent me for X-rays and concluded it was osteoarthritis caused by general wear and tear - in my case probably many years of falling off horses and landing on my left shoulder. If it continues then it might be worth seeing the doctor or just getting a sports massage/physio appt. I found that a sports massage helped mine.
Jan 2014
9:32am, 8 Jan 2014
87 posts
  •  
RobinLomax
Yes, Sunday's run was out in the cold morning, so maybe I hadn't allowed myself enough recovery time. I managed to run 10 miles yesterday in the gym, with no pain at all (albeit a little slower than Monday). Will see how the next couple of runs go. I'm just worried that I'll be fine for messing about then I start a marathon and BOOM it hits me again.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Ouch ouch ouch!

After a stress free 12 miles yesterday I felt fine today and headed to the gym th...