Pain in the foot

1 watcher
Jan 2012
1:40pm, 13 Jan 2012
First-time poster!!
  •  
kt_m_white
Hi. I am hoping to get a bit of advice. For the last 3-4 weeks I have been getting pain on the top of my foot, about in line with where I tie my laces. Initially I just thought my foot was bruised but it hasn’t improved. Its not too bad when I’m running but afterwards that area of my foot is red and swollen for a few hours. Any ideas what could be causing this and what I should do about it. It’s not so bad that it is preventing me from running but I guess resting it would be the sensible thing to do. I’ve not been running for that long and haven’t had any injuries so don’t know where to go for advice. Thanks
Jan 2012
1:41pm, 13 Jan 2012
1,009 posts
  •  
Last of the Time Lords
Er...tying your laces too tight?

Oh, and welcome to Fetch. :)
Jan 2012
1:42pm, 13 Jan 2012
5,622 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
I agree, loosen your laces.
Jan 2012
1:45pm, 13 Jan 2012
1,522 posts
  •  
southendal
I changed shoes and had the same issue. I loosened my laces, fine now.

Welcome to Fetch :-)
Jan 2012
1:47pm, 13 Jan 2012
18 posts
  •  
Crave
Had the same thing. try the second lacing style from here http://www.newbalance.com/lacing-guide/. worked for me. Don't think there's any need to rest it if not hurting during runs.
Jan 2012
1:49pm, 13 Jan 2012
12,632 posts
  •  
Pestomum
Welcome to fetch :-)

I sometimes wonder if we all go a bit potty about shoes when we're running. If my ordinary shoes rubbed me red raw under the laces, or gave me huge blisters, or made me lose toenails I'd change them pronto and never wear them again (unless they were *very* nice). But as soon as it comes to running shoes, there's a whole lot more we seem to put up with...
Jan 2012
1:56pm, 13 Jan 2012
565 posts
  •  
Ian M
Most common problem is that people get used to the laces being too tight. Most folk simply undo the top lace to get them off and don't loosen the whole lace. This results in a gradual tightening over the top of the foot.

Best thing to do is make sure your laces are fully loosened when you take your shoes off.
Jan 2012
1:59pm, 13 Jan 2012
2 posts
  •  
kt_m_white
Thanks for the replies. I've been using the same pair of trainers for the last few months and haven't changed the way I tie them and its always just in my left foot. I'll try changing the way I tie the lace and see if that helps
AB
Jan 2012
5:21pm, 13 Jan 2012
37 posts
  •  
AB
Instead of tying the laces normally, as in crossing them over, wherever the pain is, tie the lace so it comes up along the side and then cross them over again once you are past the sore area. This relieves the pressure on the top of the foot where the pain is, but still maintains the tightness of the shoe. It's worth trying and may just work.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by The wee beastie
Hi. I am hoping to get a bit of advice. For the last 3-4 weeks I have been getting pain on the top...