Pain in Shoulder Blade Area?

2 watchers
Sep 2017
10:30am, 14 Sep 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
CharlotteCox92
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with something...
I am currently training for the London Marathon 2018 - I have been training for a few months now and noticed that a couple of times when I am completing a 'longish' run (the longest I've done so far is 7.5 miles - complete beginner) after a certain amount of miles, I start getting a pain in my left shoulder blade area. It feels like trapped wind or something like that. Sometimes, I just move my arm around a little bit and it eases up, other times I can still run through it but it is quite painful and uncomfortable. Is this something I need to worry about? Do you think I need to contact my doctor or get a massage or something? As I say it doesn't happen on every run, it happened to me last night but other than that I hadn't felt it for a few months?
Any advice you have would be appreciated :)
Thanks
Charlotte
Sep 2017
11:43am, 14 Sep 2017
27,314 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Charlotte, welcome to Fetch.

No specific expertise in a shoulder pain. Very hard to tell if it's internal (digestion, breathing etc.) or skeletal (muscle, bone, tendon etc.) from your description.

If it's muscle, then massage (including self massage - foam roller or spiky ball) can help. Also stretching. If it's digestion / breathing, then experiment with not eating or eating less or different before / during your runs etc.

General point - this is very early to be training for London 2018 specifically. Just enjoy building up your running distance and time and give yourself plenty of time to recover from any niggles, if they are muscle or tendon type things.

Very best of luck with your training. London marathon is a fab experience. Hopefully one of our docs or physio / trainer qualified people will be able to help more. :-) G
Sep 2017
3:25pm, 14 Sep 2017
2 posts
  •  
CharlotteCox92
Thank you :)

The bigger plan is the London Marathon, but currently I am working towards the Oxford half marathon which is 8th October (that's my current training plan). I felt that if I could do a half marathon by October then I would hopefully find the full marathon training not such a shock at the start :)

Thank you for the advice, a foam roller is definitely something I would like to try, perhaps I'll purchase one of those. That, along with sorting my diet out hopefully will be the trick :)

I definitely need to work more on allowing my body to recover, I think I over do it sometimes!!

Thank you!!
Charlotte
Sep 2017
3:38pm, 14 Sep 2017
27,318 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Have you looked at any structured training plans? Looks like you run almost every day, so adequate rest and recovery may be a problem (even if not this problem!) Almost all structured plans build in rest and recovery to them.

Generally, if you are relatively new to running, I'd say no more than 4 runs per week, with rest days, especially after the harder sessions (anything quicker or your longest run). Your rest days don't have to be doing nothing - you can do your stretching and foam rollering. You could also build in some cross training, if you still want to do calorie burning / cardio stuff, but not running: bike, swim, row or fast / hilly walking (as long as it gets you out of breath and sweaty, it's doing you good!)

The other thing, in addition to stretch and rollering is strength / conditioning. I am a big fan of core exercises for runners: Pilates class, a DVD or google the exercises, or just do your own core exercises. All the usual can be done at home or in a gym: planks, bridge, lunges, squats - can do them with or without weights. Ideal to do on your "rest" (i.e. non running) days!

As with all new things, go carefully, build up slowly, back off if you think something is hurting that shouldn't.

And have a look at structured training plans for half marathon and marathon. THey'lll build up your long run ability, while still allowing you adequate rest and recovery. Very best of luck with your half. I'm sure you'll do great. And enjoy it too! :-) G
Sep 2017
3:39pm, 14 Sep 2017
27,319 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Example plan right here in Fetch...

fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=87

:-) G
Sep 2017
8:50pm, 14 Sep 2017
3 posts
  •  
CharlotteCox92
Wow! Honestly didn't expect so much advice, thank you so much for the time to reply!! Will definitely take in what you've said and rest more!!

Will take a look at the link now!

Thanks again!!

:)
Sep 2017
10:33pm, 14 Sep 2017
37,090 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
Welcome to fetch, Charlotte! Happy grr has given you some great advice. I would say that your body does weird things when you up the mileage, and backing off a bit or walking to assess how it's going when this happens is a good idea. Good luck with your HM and London :)
Sep 2017
3:36pm, 22 Sep 2017
4 posts
  •  
CharlotteCox92
Thank you :):)

I've rested a lot more this week and ran an 11 mile the other day - no pain in the shoulder :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by CharlotteCox92
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with something...
I am currently training fo...