Pacers - in front or behind?

3 watchers
Mar 2016
9:34pm, 5 Mar 2016
478 posts
  •  
larkim
So, if you were looking to hit a specific pace which was two minute faster than the nearest pacer, how might you approach it - watch the pacer leave the start line, then leave the appropriate gap before setting off on a mission to catch them?

Or set off with them, and either run alongside hoping to pull away later, or simply pull away from them from the start.

(Obvious attentive is to pace your own race, but I quite like the idea of using a pacer somehow just to try something different!)
Mar 2016
9:46pm, 5 Mar 2016
14,429 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
When I did it, I ran with the pacer until the 9 mile point of a half marathon then pushed on a bit. I'd forgotten that I'd also crossed the start line a minute or two after the pacer and caught her up so ended up a few minutes ahead 😃
Mar 2016
9:47pm, 5 Mar 2016
285 posts
  •  
davelord
If its less than a 1/2marathon then i doubt they would help at all. In a 1/2 you could possibly use a pacer to make sure you didn't go to hard in first 3-4 miles but then you would have to push on. I have been fortunate in marathon and picked up 4 minutes from 20 miles to finish by sticking with pacer until 20 miles
Mar 2016
3:15pm, 8 Mar 2016
13 posts
  •  
Woomi
The few times I tried running along with a pacer I found it got incredibly crowded right behind them so I would suggest staying slightly behind but keep them in sight. And then you can still try to catch them towards the end so you should finish just faster then "their" pace.
Mar 2016
4:32pm, 8 Mar 2016
494 posts
  •  
larkim
Thanks for the insights here.

Tentative plan then is to set off about 1 minute behind the 1:30 pacer, gradually reel them in over the first 10-11 miles, and then see if I can push on thereafter. Target is a 88:xx pace for me, but my usual approach is "time in the bag" up to 11 miles and then hang on to the end.

But thinking about this, chances are I won't really be able to wait by the start line for a minute, so perhaps this won't fly...

Perhaps they are a red herring....
Mar 2016
5:03pm, 8 Mar 2016
224 posts
  •  
edison
Trying to beat a target time in a 10k for the first time I set off with the pacer, then pushed on at about 3k because I thought:
a) I felt good
b) his pace wasn't going to leave any wiggle room, if the course was long or if my Garmin was out

He was pretty much bang on the time he said he'd pace.

They often have knowledge of the specific course that the runner might not know - such as when to slow down on hills, or make up time.

I've never tried staying behind because if any gap opened, I'd be defeated mentally.
Mar 2016
5:08pm, 8 Mar 2016
23,159 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I 'sort of' used the pacer at Amsterdam marathon a few years ago, I wanted to be sure of a sub 3:45 at the time and stayed just ahead of him, it worked for me.
Mar 2016
5:13pm, 8 Mar 2016
2,427 posts
  •  
JustDistracted (JD)
I'm debating whether to run with a pacer at my half this weekend - I ran with one faster than I really expected to finish for the first 8 miles and then couldn't keep in touch. I ended up with a big PB that day, but behind that pacer. A lovely lady I know well who did the pace time spot on and talked to us letting us know how much we were up by (it was mostly up!) and telling us what was cmoing up on the course :) I did run ahead for a bit as there was a big group round her!
My next half there were no pacers and I probably went a bit quick in the first 5... but it worked out ok for another PB.

If I do use a pacer this time it won't be someone I know and trust. So I think I will make sure I'm in the general vicinity and preferably ahead!
Mar 2016
12:11pm, 11 Mar 2016
513 posts
  •  
larkim
Discovered that the pacers for my race (Cardiff WHM champs) are 1:30, 1:45, 2:00 etc. Given that I'm targetting 1:28:xx at least I know that theres no risk of me deciding on the day to try to hang with the 1:25 pacer as they don't exist!
Mar 2016
12:28pm, 11 Mar 2016
5,372 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I think you're over-complicating it, honestly. If you start 1min behind the 1:30 pacer, which will be about 200-250 metres once you're running - there's going to be *loads* of runners slower than you in between. If you're patient this might be OK, but it might get stressful (you'll likely be in amongst runners trying for say 8m/m) - and if you waste energy overtaking, weaving, kerb-hopping etc. then you've no chance of running your best race.

If you really don't trust yourself to be able to run a 6:45 first mile without a pacer, then stick to the 1:30 guy/girl for a mile. You can ease away from there.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
So, if you were looking to hit a specific pace which was two minute faster than the nearest pacer, h...