Pacers - Discuss

5 watchers
Apr 2012
4:34pm, 23 Apr 2012
1,117 posts
  •  
Mark J
So after watching the VLM yesterday I was left wondering several things about pacers:

1/ Is it really fair, surely it should be you as an individual racing?

2/ What do pacers get out of it?

3/ I'd be a bit miffed if I was only known as the pacer for X

4/ Do they have an official entry and therefore, can they, do they carry on to the finish after pacing the first half?

5/ Can I do it if i wanted to pace slower times than i'm capable of, with more races under my belt of course?

Just curious as to others thoughts really and if there are any of you out there I'd love to hear the inside story?
Apr 2012
4:42pm, 23 Apr 2012
9,209 posts
  •  
paul a
1. The pacer doesn't do the running for you.
2. A fee
3. This is a good way of making a bit of money if you are a good athlete - the fee offsets being miffed I guess.
4. Yes, yes, only very occasionally but it has happened.
5. Yes.
Apr 2012
4:46pm, 23 Apr 2012
31,796 posts
  •  
LorraineS
4. I believe not in VLM but usually yes
Apr 2012
4:51pm, 23 Apr 2012
26,649 posts
  •  
Foxy Davy
I'm pacing MK on Sunday - no one mentioned a fee ?! ;)
Apr 2012
4:52pm, 23 Apr 2012
1,118 posts
  •  
Mark J
Officially Foxy, who for, how did you get the gig, what time?
Apr 2012
4:57pm, 23 Apr 2012
2,741 posts
  •  
RunningBob
There was a famous incident where an unknown (I think) Sammy Korir paced Paul Tergat to marathon world record and almost beat him. Clearly those VLM pacers are talented runners probably just waiting to break through onto international race scene and this is I'm sure a good way of showing what they can do, experiencing the front of a big race and making some decent money. I overtook one yesterday who was jogging in to the finish. I think pacers are ok in a marathon but it might be better if they were just entered as runners.
Apr 2012
4:59pm, 23 Apr 2012
2,742 posts
  •  
RunningBob
Haha indeed Foxy.

I'm the 40 min pacer at Great Manchester and I think I just get free entry and some kit.
Apr 2012
5:02pm, 23 Apr 2012
20,136 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I did some pacing once. I got VIP parking, free race entry with an elite-looking number, a vest and shorts, and a little lollipop thing to carry which was great for flicking the earphones out of fun-runners' lugholes on the way past.

And some great craic with the group on the way round, and a bit of satisfaction :)
Apr 2012
5:04pm, 23 Apr 2012
26,650 posts
  •  
Foxy Davy
I'm pacing 4.15 for the MK Marathon on Sunday. I actually asked if thet had pacers as wanted to use one for a s ub 3.30 attempt & got offered the job of putting together a pace team which I've done - we got free entry & a turquoise pacing vest :)
Apr 2012
5:04pm, 23 Apr 2012
1,119 posts
  •  
Mark J
I kind of like the sound of the helping and motivating people bit, as well as feeding my running addiction. Anyone care to let me in to the secret of becoming one or is it a closed shop type affair. Special hand shakes, nudge, nudge, wink, wink etc?

About This Thread

So after watching the VLM yesterday I was left wondering several things about pacers:

1/ Is it re...