Overweight, out of condition and almost 40

11 watchers
Apr 2014
10:11pm, 26 Apr 2014
1,357 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Hello dragoninink *waves*

I started running so that I could walk the dog more quickly in the morning. The first time I ran between two lampposts and walked all the rest. I did that for a couple of days and then made it to the drive after the lamppost. After a week I could run as far as the next lamppost. I think it took three months for me to complete my target loop - which was about a mile and a half! The dog hated running so I had to carry on without her.... Like the others I have (very) gradually got faster, fitter and thinner. Enjoy being outside and feeling better about yourself and life in general - running does that. You'll have a lovely time in Fetchland no matter what :-)
Apr 2014
11:55pm, 26 Apr 2014
6 posts
  •  
dragoninink
Thanks once again for the encouragement. I've looked at the like for parks run and there is one just around the corner from up. It's a 5km course so I'll not be doing it any time soon but it's great to know that they are there. I'm in Canberra so no worries about heat right not. The max we are seeing right now is 23 deg C so it's long trouser and jumper time. The mornings are only around 8 so a good walk is in order just warm up.

Cyclops you kind of hit the nail on the head. My first run, way back 4 days ago, was pretty similar. Just run/walking 1km and only running between lamp posts.

Monday is the real start of the training. So will let everyone know how it goes.
Apr 2014
12:32am, 27 Apr 2014
8,665 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Only 23C! Hope it warms up for you soon ;-) Here is Scotland it is t-shirt and shorts weather now - been above 15C some days :-)
Apr 2014
12:57am, 27 Apr 2014
1,539 posts
  •  
Mark J
Hi Dragon, classic newbie mistake is trying to run far too quickly when you first start. I did this for about a year before it clicked properly. Welcome along, takes times, but you'll get there. It all starts with those first tentative steps. :)
Apr 2014
12:57am, 27 Apr 2014
7 posts
  •  
dragoninink
lol Dvorak. I could deal with the cold to live in Scotland. I'm a pom by birth but soon acclimated to the weather. In winter we do get the odd day of -3 and occasionally lower.
Apr 2014
1:00am, 27 Apr 2014
8 posts
  •  
dragoninink
Hey Mark, yeah leaning quickly that I need to slow down. Just feels like I'll be standing still ir going backwards if I go much slower.
Apr 2014
7:16am, 27 Apr 2014
964 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
Looks like there's 3 parkruns in the ACT. All 3 of them had people taking between 45 mins & an hour to complete the 5k. I reckon you should get along there as soon as you feel able to walk the course. Big help to making you stick at it.
Apr 2014
7:34am, 27 Apr 2014
9 posts
  •  
dragoninink
The parkrun near me is every Saturday morning. Once I can run/walk the 5km I'll sign up and go along. I can walk the 5km without an issue right now, but the moment I put the run in I was buggered.

Tomorrow I will be slowing right down and not worrying about the distance just the time.
Apr 2014
8:20am, 27 Apr 2014
2,072 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
*All* parkruns are 5km, and every Saturday morning - that's part of the design :).

Could always mostly walk 5K and just run a bit of the last 1K... Parkrun is terrific for the atmosphere and encouragement. That's assuming Aussie ones are like their British cousins, anyway.
Apr 2014
9:53am, 27 Apr 2014
15,314 posts
  •  
fleecy
I agree with Rev, parkrun makes you enthusiastic about running, and there are usually lots of people running quite slowly. If you're not up to running or run-walking the whole parkrun course you will probably find you can just do one lap, as courses are usually 2 or 3 laps. In any case, if it's round the corner then pop along and see what it's like! Volunteering is really great fun and you will make lots of new friends and running acquaintances by just volunteering. Guaranteed or your money back :)

About This Thread

Maintained by dragoninink
Hi just joined on the advise of my marathon running big sister. I decided a few days ago I needed t...