Overweight, out of condition and almost 40

11 watchers
Apr 2014
6:18am, 25 Apr 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
dragoninink
Hi just joined on the advise of my marathon running big sister. I decided a few days ago I needed to do something about my fitness and started walking with a little jogging thrown in for good measure. My sis advised me to try the NHS couch to 5k training session.

Today was the first day of this, only managed to get half way through the audio file before I had to stop and turn back. Is this something that others have found and it is case of keep plugging at the week 1 training until I can complete it with relative ease or should I stick to the plan and keep pushing?

Your advice and experience would be appreciated.

AC
Apr 2014
6:20am, 25 Apr 2014
8,703 posts
  •  
colettedeann
welcome dragon - i made the mistake of running (too fast) rather than jogging when i first started the walk to run programme - good luck :)
Apr 2014
6:30am, 25 Apr 2014
2 posts
  •  
dragoninink
Hi Colette - only averaged 9:32 per km so not sure if that's it. Maybe I should slow down more so I can actually complete the time? Will try this on Monday. Thanks for the advice, I guess I just wondered if 20 mins was just a target to aim for to start with. I'll slow down and see if I can make the full time.
Apr 2014
6:34am, 25 Apr 2014
1,371 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Definitely slow down! Most of not all new runners go too quick at first. If you can't talk it's too quick! It will feel very hard for a while... But it's so worth it :-) welcome to Fetch dragonink :-)
Apr 2014
6:41am, 25 Apr 2014
3 posts
  •  
dragoninink
Thanks Tara. Two for two say slow down so that's the one. Not able to talk but the ambos following me with a defib are usually chatty. :-D looking to run a 5 km next year so I have no choice but to keep going. Should add my 10 daughter, the main reason I am doing this, spent more time running back to me today.
Apr 2014
6:48am, 25 Apr 2014
105 posts
  •  
NelskiBL
Getting started is the big step - well done. 9.32 is quick out the blocks though. When I started (many moons and more than 7 stones ago) I went much slower and walked more than I ran for a while. As Tarahumara said - 'it's so worth it'. It's tough at times - but the rewards last much longer than the toil. Good luck.
Apr 2014
6:54am, 25 Apr 2014
4,323 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Hello dragon, welcome to fetch. I'm not familiar with the NHS plan but there are a few things that are generally good things to remember when starting out.

As Colette said try slowing down a bit, normal advice is to be running at a pace where you could hold a conversation with someone (if they were there, just talk to yourself if they aren't;)) and this is normally much slower than people think to start with. Don't worry to much about the time either - think of it more as something to aim for if you can't do it all now.

The main thing is don't try so hard you hate it, it's important to enjoy yourself as that's the best way to make sure you keep going :) it's absolutely fine to adjust the plan to suit you so if you can't do say half and hour, start by aiming for 20 mins and aim towards it. Time, distance, pace etc don't matter - all that matters is you get out there! Good luck and enjoy it :)

Oh and I don't know if you have a parkrun near you but I definately recommend them, plenty of fk do them with a run/walk strategy, in fact some just walk them if necessary, and if you don't fancy them now it can be something to aim for. parkrun.org.uk
Apr 2014
6:55am, 25 Apr 2014
4,324 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Oops they beat me to it!
Apr 2014
6:56am, 25 Apr 2014
4,492 posts
  •  
Duchess
welcome to Fetch!

C25k is great - lots of people use it to get into running (and some of us are using it to get back into running after a prolonged case of idle-itis *sigh*). Definitely slow down if you're struggling to complete it. When I did it first time around, there were times I was so slow, I was running on the spot. Far more important to complete it than imitate Usain Bolt!

One thing with C25k is that it presumes you can walk comfortably for 30 minutes before you start. If "out of condition" means your current base fitness is lower than that, don't be afraid to change the programme to suit where you are now. Maybe instead of walk/run/walk/run/walk, turn it into walk/jog/walk/brisk walk/walk, if you see what I mean. And repeat weeks if you find them hard. (Other beginners mistake - getting carried away with enthusiasm and trying to do too much too soon).

And well done - getting off the couch in the first place is the hardest bit. :-)
Apr 2014
6:57am, 25 Apr 2014
723 posts
  •  
Neilio
Welcome Dragon. 3 years ago I was in the same boat. Over 40, overweight and so unfit.As others have said, 1st step is to get out the door so well done on that :) Slow down, keep it short and enjoyable. Keep a training diary so you can track and look back on how far you have come as the weeks go by. Build it slowly and that way you will stick at it and hopefully get the running bug. I did. Oh, and stick with Fetch, the motivation is brilliant.:)

About This Thread

Maintained by dragoninink
Hi just joined on the advise of my marathon running big sister. I decided a few days ago I needed t...