•  
GlennR
Welcome Dave.
Jul 2020
11:06pm, 25 Jul 2020
2,266 posts
  •  
Fitz
Short-sighted glasses wearer since the age of about 10. RGP contact lenses since my early twenties. I found my near vision deteriorated very suddenly about 5 years ago. Couldn't get on with multi-focal RGPs but I'm fine with multifocal daily disposables.

Multifocals are a compromise. My distance vision isn't quite as sharp as I'd like, especially for driving, but perfectly adequate. The reading "side"is fine until the light goes, then it's either get longer arms or take out the lenses.
Jul 2020
1:05pm, 27 Jul 2020
12,241 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Varifocal glasses are wonderful. I can't abide the idea of poking myself in the eye with contacts, and I'd still need glasses anyway!

My new varifocals arrived this morning in the post. All the way from Pakistan, I think.

A lot, lot cheaper than buying on the high street. :-)
Jul 2020
1:21pm, 27 Jul 2020
17,271 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
My first pair of varifocals were fantastic. I had them for 4 years with no issues. I replaced them last year and this pair is rubbish. I should have taken them back but left it too long. I’m going to a different opticians next time.
Jul 2020
1:50pm, 27 Jul 2020
12,245 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
Should have said - eye exam at the opticians every time.
First pair(s) from the same opticians so you can go back if they're not working for you, adjustments etc..
Once I was well into the flow of wearing VF lenses, I shifted to ordering on line. Instead of £400 plus "locally" for a pair of thinned out coated with everything good, photochromatic all singing all dancing, these were only £65 inc. P&P! Exceptionally cheap, even by my normal standards because they had a further offer on. (Same company is currently offering clear single vision "basic" lenses and frames for sub-£20 even with no further discount!)
I have had one dodgy pair from them in about 8 years (so I think that's 8 pairs in total), but they replaced them FoC.
Jul 2020
2:03pm, 27 Jul 2020
281 posts
  •  
SooWoo
I’m swithering on VFs, might try when I next have eye check-up
Jul 2020
2:54pm, 27 Jul 2020
125 posts
  •  
bja61
I've found VF contacts excellent. I've got them set up for an emphasis on close work, and i've got a very basic set of glasses (and prescription sunglasses) that sharpen up the distance vision when I'm driving or out and about. Eyesight is legal to drive with just the contacts, but the extra glasses over the top just make me feel slightly more comfortable. After years of having one eye set up for distance and the other for close work, this has been a major improvement. I also have vf glasses for when I'm not wearing lenses, and these work well too. There are different patterns of vf glasses for where the different areas of the lens are focussed. I have had one pattern that I didn't get on with, the others have been fine so there is a bit of trial and error. I'm very short-sighted at around -9.00 correction so it's always a bit of a compromise for me to get prescriptions right. Others may have a different experience, but this has worked well for me.
Jul 2020
9:58pm, 27 Jul 2020
30,786 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I am pleased with my varifocals I bought online in lockdown (I didn't like the first pair I chose once I saw them for real, but the lenses were perfect. Immediately exchanged for different frames without a quibble.) But they cost a lot more than Marky has found. Which company did you use, MMM?
Jul 2020
10:59pm, 27 Jul 2020
12,249 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
goggles4u.co.uk
Jul 2020
6:14pm, 28 Jul 2020
30,788 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Thanks, I'll have a look.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sweaty Frank
Here are the Over 50s League Tables

fetcheveryone.com/league?year=2021&age=50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.