Other Hobbies

10 watchers
Jun 2020
8:48am, 15 Jun 2020
1,642 posts
  •  
bonners
A few other hobbies really, just never get time for them. We love our walking and as soon as the Welsh rules permit we'll be back in the mountains. We also love our camping trips, but it has to be the right campsite.

I do like both board and online strategy games, mainly WWII games, but some others as well. The only issue with these, especially playing against an opponent is finding the several months needed to complete some of the games.

I'm a lapsed motorcyclist. From riding virtually every day including commuting, I've now not ridden for over three years. I had an accident where a woman deliberately drove into the back of me whilst I was stationary and then drove off. Any previous accident I'd been able to rationalise as something I'd done wrong and a chance to improve. So since then my Hornet 900 is sat gathering dust in the garage.
Jun 2020
9:02am, 15 Jun 2020
70,196 posts
  •  
Gobi
Thats unfortunate Bonners. I worked as a courier and did 30000 miles in 18 months commuting, so many incidents and many I was at fault. You just need to get back on the horse (as they say)
Jun 2020
9:16am, 15 Jun 2020
1,643 posts
  •  
bonners
Agree entirely Gobi, I should have got straight back on which is what I did after previous mishaps. Unfortunately a friend let me down with helping out with the repairs at the time, didnt have the money to fix it up and the longer i left it the more difficult it is to contemplate getting back on it. The other thing was the right wrist that took the brunt never fully recovered, so would struggle with the throttle now. Again I sometimes wonder if I'd have strengthened it by carrying on at the time....

Anyway, back on topic. Other hobby I guess you'd say collecting music. Again, dont do as much any more. I've always been into my rock music in various guises and my vinyl collection has always kept going. Up until a few years ago I'd frequent the second hand shops and vinyl bargains were to be had at 50p and a £1. Unfortunately, since the vinyl revival happened prices have shot up, so I dont collect quite as much these days, but still always browse car boots and second hand shops. On that subject I do have a fairly large collection of comics that I've always kept. Mainly British comics and mainly 2000AD and Judge Dredd related. They stretch back to 1979 and go up to about 2005 when I stopped collecting. I keep meaing to go back and have a proper sort out some day.
Jun 2020
9:34am, 15 Jun 2020
70,197 posts
  •  
Gobi
I think I may start calling Coffee a hobby

I like to try different beans
Jun 2020
10:45am, 15 Jun 2020
11,298 posts
  •  
Sombrero
A few years ago I decided to go to nightschool to do a drawing and painting class. I was OK at art when I was younger, went to art college twice but never finished the course. I started to do bits of art again, so signed up for the 10 week course, loved it, then signed up for a graphic design course which got cancelled, so I opted for the printmaking course. That worked out well, I repeated the course a couple of times, and have been selling work for a few years as a top up to my income. As I lost my temping job just before lockdown, I can pretend I'm a full time artist now :-P
Jun 2020
5:51pm, 15 Jun 2020
50,241 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
Yeah mate it’s more than a hobby for you!
Mine is pottery. I make weird shit which is vaguely useful
Jan 2021
8:30am, 22 Jan 2021
90 posts
  •  
Limegreenjelly
I’ve been a crafty arty thing most of my life, drawing, painting, sewing, knitting, spinning a yarn, dyeing stuff, weaving, baking, reading!

Last year I started dabbling with the ukelele, I’m not brilliant but I enjoy playing and I also keep a Spanish streak going on Duolingo I hardly consider it learning a language as although I feel I can understand I don’t have the confidence to speak!

I also did my cbt in November and am riding around on a 125 for now! Husband has a zzr, I wasn’t confident I’d be able to learn to ride a motorbike to be honest and I do get a bit anxious about the possibility of a test but I will keep riding and practicing and see where it takes me!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Other than running (or swimming, cycling or all of the above) what other hobbies do you have?

I&a...