Other Hobbies

10 watchers
Jun 2020
4:13pm, 8 Jun 2020
10 posts
  •  
Minimag
Other than running (or swimming, cycling or all of the above) what other hobbies do you have?

I've always worked in horticulture (on the finance side), so have a keen interest in growing - particularly veg. I have a double allotment 100 yards from my front door, and have made 27 raised beds in which I grow a variety of veg. I have let my wife have a few of them in which she grows cut flowers, Dalia's, Chrysanths and the like.

I always have a liking for beer (hence the running is useful to make sure I dont get a beer belly!). I brew in a single vessel using a method called Boil in the Bag (BIAB for short). It's not like the awful kits we had back in th 80's but actually brewing from grain and hops. The results are at least comparable to what you get (or used to when they were open) to the guest ales in pubs. Our favourite brew is a Summer Lightning clone which is rather simple to make. I have made American Double IPA's, Irish Stout, and a host of clones of popular beer - Cornish Tribute, Speckled Hen and the like
Jun 2020
6:51pm, 8 Jun 2020
8,126 posts
  •  
becca7
A nice post and idea for a thread. I've tended to be quite faddish in terms of hobbies and nothing as accomplished as yours. I dabble in learning languages, photography and birdwatching. I collect woodcuts and etchings, or did until I ran out of reasonable wall space.

There are lots of thread devoted to specific hobbies, including a gardening one.
Jun 2020
6:54pm, 8 Jun 2020
5,457 posts
  •  
Battlecat
Before I did running and stuff I used to do am dram. I got back into it a couple of years ago. I also used to do ballet, I keep trying to get back into that but there's a lack of adult classes near me and I'm not sure I'd fit it in these days anyway.

I've got 2 small kids so for the foreseeable future my other hobby will probably be driving them round to theirs!
Jun 2020
8:13pm, 8 Jun 2020
4,100 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Dull as it sounds, I collect and collate statistics, usually sporting-related. I am hoping that one day, when I have more time on my hands, I will be able to write a book or two.
Jun 2020
8:27pm, 8 Jun 2020
11 posts
  •  
Minimag
Becca, I wouldnt say I was accomplished, just a keen amateur, rather like my running.That sounds quite a mix of hobbies, rather like me.

Battlecat, well done on getting back into Am Dram, could it not be combined with ballet or dancing anyway?.

Phil, what sort of stats, being into numbers myself.

Also, deliberate mistake earlier, it's not BOIL in a bag, but BREW in a bag. l also dabble with smoking food, and also bbq, have been known to do lamb on the spit for Christmas dinner, reminds me of Christmas when I grew up in the Southern hemisphere!
Jun 2020
8:45pm, 8 Jun 2020
995 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
I used to climb. A lot. Not indoors, just outside. Usually 2 days a week in the Peak and weekends in sea cliffs or big mountains in Lakes /Snowdonia /Scotland. Ice climbing in winter and a couple of high altitude forays. Used to climb for guidebook photos too. Then the turtle happened. She climbs but its not the same and I'm not as good/brave/reckless these days.
Now, other hobbies are hillwalking, kayaking, and gardening (veg). No coincidence that all are outdoorsy!
Jun 2020
7:30am, 9 Jun 2020
4,102 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I generally look at figures for football, cricket, American football, netball, etc. I sometimes dabble with the London and Brighton Marathons too. Usually, just to gauge the best overall and the most consistent performers over the years.

I think it all started when I was about ten and I was able to recall facts about the World Cup to random questions people asked me.
K9
Jun 2020
7:49am, 9 Jun 2020
1,349 posts
  •  
K9
The trouble is I have far too many hobbies......and I devote far too much time to all of them!

I love my hills and navigation - I have my mountain leader award, and have climbed 2 rounds of Wainwirghts, a round of Munros, and more than half of the Corbetts (as well as many other lesser known lists). I particularly enjoy winter mountaineering, and bad weather in general. I love to wild camp, and generally fend for myself and stay alive. I would LOVE to join our local mountain rescue when I can free up enough time.

I also love cooking and baking - the more technical and complex the better. I always over-cater and enjoy feeding people. I am a feeder :-D

My most recent addition to the growing list of life distractions has been sea kayaking. A double edged sword as it turns out I get really really sea sick so need to take loads of drugs, and I have no free 16 foot space to store a sea kayak anyway. It's a pity it's so much fun.
Jun 2020
7:57am, 9 Jun 2020
31,391 posts
  •  
halfpint
Climbing (mostly indoor but trying to get outside more), sea kayaking, being out in the hills (only done a few Munros but that’s not been a target). I’ve never really thought of them as hobbies, more a way of life.
Jun 2020
8:29am, 9 Jun 2020
19,352 posts
  •  
DeeGee
At 16 I took up drinking as a hobby, and over the years I found that if I combined it with travelling by train to watch football I was considered to be a football fan rather than a lush.

When I started running I swapped it for the football support, but made sure I kept the travel and beer. With two children and a 20 marathon a year habit I couldn't really afford the time or money to do anything else.

There's a bit less beer now, a lot fewer marathons, but the travel is more interesting, and have taken my kids on some very interesting journeys. Now the sport is an activity which I use to justify my travel, rather than being an activity I use to justify my drinking.

I also play around a bit with language learning, can play a bit of guitar, and go to gigs with the wife.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Other than running (or swimming, cycling or all of the above) what other hobbies do you have?

I&a...