ostioarthritis - how do you manage it?

2 watchers
Aug 2011
7:10am, 18 Aug 2011
536 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Right. Had xray and it showed ostioarthritis, I was referred to a podiatrist, who I saw last week, he confirmed Hallux ridgidus and has put me an insert in my everyday work shoes, I feel really peed off that he cant offer any other treatment, I have got to go back in a month to see how the insert has been, at the moment it feels like I have a big lump under my arches, I have been trying for the last year to get my feet as natural as possible and have worked hard to make my running style more efficient, I no longer push off or land on my heel and dont get shin pain anymore. I feel that this is now going in the opposite direction. I am still running as it doesnt hurt when I run, but it does hurt at all other times, perhaps I should just run everywhere - fed up :-(
Aug 2011
7:43am, 18 Aug 2011
5,511 posts
  •  
runner duck
where is the oh dear, nm :(

i have oa in hip and lower back but not toe so i'm not much help as running doesn't seem to affect it. cycling and spinning are worse for me.

i hope someone more useful comes along soon
Aug 2011
7:44am, 18 Aug 2011
5,512 posts
  •  
runner duck
oops sorry - i was going to say where is it but then googled hallux rigidus and answered my own question :)
Aug 2011
8:01am, 18 Aug 2011
9,414 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I have it in my hands, wrists and now in left foot affecting cuneiform bones according to x-ray, big toe is a bit stiff too. I am just going through the process of managing it and finding out how much I can run. Seen physio who is helping by ensuring tendons in foot and ankles are working properly. Saw podiatrist who said if I worked on balance and stability and didn't overdo the running I would probably be ok without insoles which I am not keen on getting. My hands and wrists seem to be mostly affected by the cold and wet weather.

Not much help, why not get second opinion if you aren't happy with podiatrist.
Aug 2011
8:17am, 18 Aug 2011
499 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I have not got oa but have the beginnings of ra. When I first ound out I thought ' that's it then I will have to stop running '. It's a bit odd really 'cos it's actually much worse on the days I don't run. My knees and wrists/ hands are affected. I had a blood test and was just point one under the level that the rhematoid factor has to be in order to qualify for certain ra drugs so I was prescribed Naproxen which is an anti inflammatory and voltarol gel. It seems to be manageable at the moment and if it starts flaring up I just take the medication. I don't know much about oa, but all I do know is if your running is still doable and you enjoy it keep it up and I hope you find something that helps.
Aug 2011
1:49pm, 18 Aug 2011
537 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
That is my theory too, I really enjoy running and still think the benifits of running far outway not running, I put volterol on the big toe before I go and it helps a bit. I run a bit barefoot when I can and I find it doesnt hurt at all then but it not always practical. I find the pain does get worse when its cold tho. I am just going to keep going as long as possible, I am just worried I may be doing more damage, podiatrist wasnt very helpful on that
Aug 2011
2:13pm, 18 Aug 2011
10,734 posts
  •  
Pestomum
arthritisresearchuk.org
Aug 2011
3:17pm, 18 Aug 2011
424 posts
  •  
mags
Oh dear, I have OA in my hips and running actually helps it - or at least the endorphins
I get from running help mask the pain. Mine flares up and it is mainly my sleep that is affected, every turn is agony.
Aug 2011
8:48am, 20 Aug 2011
538 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Thanks Pestomum, so carry on then me thinks!
Sep 2011
11:18am, 27 Sep 2011
180 posts
  •  
northern_runner
Yes, thanks Pestomum for that link. Like mags I have OA in my hips, but the right is much worse than the left. I was running fine until February and then things went downhill rapidly, possibly brought on by another injury on my left side. I haven't run since May, so I'm still trying to find a way of resuming running, even at a low level.

About This Thread

Maintained by NellyMarcos
Right. Had xray and it showed ostioarthritis, I was referred to a podiatrist, who I saw last week, h...