Organising my own race

7 watchers
Apr 2011
1:36pm, 26 Apr 2011
8,826 posts
  •  
DeeGee
There's a few of you that do this, and I'm thinking about it (merely thinking at the moment). I've got an increasing stack of off-road and quiet routes round this part of Lincolnshire that I'd quite like to share. Is there any point me setting up a little low-key marathon, with proceeds going to charity? What do I need to think about if I'm to get this off the ground.

Are there any "features" on the course that I need to avoid? Obviously I'm not planning on running alongside the A1! I suspect I might need road crossings, though...
Apr 2011
1:46pm, 26 Apr 2011
2,292 posts
  •  
Iron_Mum
Ooh, 'citing! quick thoughts:

insurance (might be easiest via affiliation to England Athletics or Run England etc)
entrant numbers (check with council)
avoid level crossings ;-)
emergency medical cover on the day (usually requires a donation)
timing: chip if you can, obviously, but it's expensive, we use stopwatch and three people cross-checking positions/numbers/times
PA - you really need someone to jolly things along at start and announce finishers etc, with the right sound kit
promotion - website, fliers, adverts on Fetch, RW etc, press releases
marshals - how many will you need, where will they be situated, how will they be coordinated?
course length verification: we don't bother with this at Iron Mum but for a marathon you'd want the distance verified so it can be counted as a PB

That's all I can think of for now, good luck with it!
Apr 2011
1:47pm, 26 Apr 2011
2,293 posts
  •  
Iron_Mum
Oh, and for council you'll also need risk assessment paperwork. We also inform the local police and hospital so they're aware.
Apr 2011
1:48pm, 26 Apr 2011
15,085 posts
  •  
Old Croc
minimise road crossing - especially busier roads, land ownership / access rights for off road bits, flooding risk?, farming activity - eg not during lambing time, gates, confusing cross roads - you know how easily them runners get fuddled.
Apr 2011
1:48pm, 26 Apr 2011
15,086 posts
  •  
Old Croc
other events in same area - bike races, triafferlons, ramblers, pop concerts, on same day / weekend
Apr 2011
1:49pm, 26 Apr 2011
8,827 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Say I'm using a Public Right of Way across farmland. Where do the legalities sit there?
Apr 2011
1:50pm, 26 Apr 2011
7,108 posts
  •  
Meglet
speak to Foxy? Your event might be a bit like his Enigma series?
Apr 2011
1:52pm, 26 Apr 2011
8,828 posts
  •  
DeeGee
He's got a lovely big lake to run round, though. I, unfortunately, haven't.
Apr 2011
1:55pm, 26 Apr 2011
15,087 posts
  •  
Old Croc
not sure but think that there may be a difference between public right of way and an organised event - might be worth looking up. A diplomatic word in advance with said farmer may pay dividends though.
Apr 2011
9:50pm, 26 Apr 2011
8,830 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Does anyone else have any advice they could offer?

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
There's a few of you that do this, and I'm thinking about it (merely thinking at the moment). I'v...