Open water swimming vs Pool swimming

2 watchers
Dec 2018
6:07pm, 12 Dec 2018
5 posts
  •  
jamesmcf
Hi Swimming Fetchies,
Looking for advice, thoughts etc from the collective Fetchie brains.

I've just signed up for the Great North Swim - 5k. There is a cut off time of 2 hours.
When I swim in the pool I am just on that pace and slightly worried I will get picked up in the trawler net or whatever they use to pick up the slow swimmers at the back.
However I am not a slow swimmer and quite confident / comfortable in the water - am I missing something?

Having done a couple of open water triathlons this year I'm faster in the open water - how does that work??
I've treated the swim in the triathlons as a warm up to the rest of the exercise, I'm not going for times just for the experience.
Is it quicker swimming in open water in a suit that in a pool with turns slowing me down??

Thanks for your comments,

James
Dec 2018
6:11pm, 12 Dec 2018
5,880 posts
  •  
sallykate
Is OW swimming in a wetsuit faster because of extra buoyancy?
Dec 2018
9:55pm, 12 Dec 2018
3,576 posts
  •  
Sweetie
A lot of swimmers are faster in a wetsuit, as sallykate says, you have extra buoyancy, in particular a wetsuit lifts your legs higher so you create less drag in open water than you would in the pool.
You might also benefit from currents in a sea swim - although of course that can also work against you!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jamesmcf
Hi Swimming Fetchies,
Looking for advice, thoughts etc from the collective Fetchie brains.

I&apo...