Open Water Swimming

134 watchers
May 2011
7:54pm, 10 May 2011
6,438 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one. if no-one posts on it then I suppose it can just drift into obscurity, but I tried!!

I did my first open water swim this evening at the TRi20 swim centre, Copthorne Hotel, Reading. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not. I swam one 750 metre lap. Here are some observations/questions.

1) It wasn't cold.
2) I couldn't breathe, the wetsuit seemed to constrict my chest.
3) I switched to breaststroke quite a bit.
4) It got better after about 500 metres - perhaps I should do a warm up jog first to get my lungs used to breathing a bit harder.

(I find that with both running and swimming I can breathe a bit easier after a decent warm up).
5) It was very difficult getting the wetsuit off afterwards. I sat down and tried to get it off like trousers. Should I just stand on it and lift a leg at a time so it comes off inside out?
6) I didn't swim in a straight line. How often should I sight?
7) Perhaps I should stick to pool triathlons.
8) I liked the bouyancy provided by the wetsuit.
9) I have a chafe on my neck. Should I put something on it, or is it likely I didn't have the suit on properly.
10) I'm not afraid of open water swimming any more.

Well, perhaps I did enjoy it a bit. I've got a tri training day at Dorney lake on Sunday, and an sprint tri there next Wednesday. Perhaps another 1 or 2 sessions at Tri20 and I'll be ready for Windsor OLY in June.
May 2011
8:08pm, 10 May 2011
23,778 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I like No.10 Nick

Feel the fear and do it anyway ;) swim
May 2011
8:09pm, 10 May 2011
701 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Cool. OW swimming is the source. It'll change your life. Swear to God! :-)
May 2011
8:12pm, 10 May 2011
23,779 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
1) Yes I had a lovely swim Sat too
2) It should fit like a glove but not constrict
3) Don't worry get into the grove
4) of course
5) Yes I know ;) Stand on it carefully
6) Sight every 3/4/5 Strokes
7) Nooooooo the devils work OW is king
8) Yep it's very useful
9) Me too forgot the bodyglide
May 2011
8:17pm, 10 May 2011
8,474 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I'm still trying to find somewhere I can swim :( There don't seem to be many options round here, and most of what there is seems to be at times and locations that I just can't get to at the right time :(

Doing an OW swim event in the Lakes next weekend though :)
May 2011
8:22pm, 10 May 2011
704 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
YP, have you tried Ripon Racecourse? NYP Tri Club swim there. You have to join the club and I believe there are a few more rules than there used to be since someone died in the lake. I've heard it's a good club and venue.

nyptri.freeuk.com
May 2011
8:24pm, 10 May 2011
23,781 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Scarborough YP ;)
May 2011
8:29pm, 10 May 2011
596 posts
  •  
Dave W
AC, it's a great club and a great venue. Swam there myself both in their races and in training.
Getting the suit off, try putting baby oil on your legs and arms before you get in. It's gentle enough not to damage the suit, but helps the suit come off easier. Dio stand on it, but carefully, and make sure that your nails are short otherwise you'll take chunks out of your suit.
Sighting just takes practice. Unless you are a really really good swimmer, then you will tend to veer off. Bilateral braething can help, cos it does even your stroke up a bit, but means that you get less air.

It is good fun, and you will get better with practice.
Once you've done your first mass start OW Tri, pool based ones just won't be the same.

Enjoy.
May 2011
8:29pm, 10 May 2011
1,934 posts
  •  
Mudlark/P T.
Theres a nice lake in Cambridge (Histon ) went & had a brilliant swim there today ,its about 1400mts all the way round.
May 2011
8:35pm, 10 May 2011
23,782 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Bit far from Leeds though Muds :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Nick Cook
There didn't seem to be a thread devoted to open water swimming, so I thought I'd start one.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.