Online coaching

10 watchers
Aug 2017
5:07pm, 26 Aug 2017
5,662 posts
  •  
katypie
Hi. Has anyone used online coaching? How did it go? Any recommendations? Thanks.
Sep 2017
2:32pm, 4 Sep 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
RunningCoach
There are lots of online coaching options available to runners. Most range from between £75 - £100 p/m. I've spoken with athletes who have used Yelling Performance (http://yellingperformance.com) from Martin & Liz Yelling. Also another who used Running with Us (http://www.runningwithus.com). Both said they were good and would recommend them to others.

The big thing with online / remote coaching is that you get out what you put in. It needs an open and regular dialogue between coach and athlete for it to be truly effective.
Sep 2017
6:58am, 5 Sep 2017
11,713 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Any other recommendations?
Sep 2017
8:02am, 5 Sep 2017
2,634 posts
  •  
FreshStart
Laura lazygirlrunning.com
Sep 2017
8:12am, 5 Sep 2017
13,404 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
"It needs an open and regular dialogue between coach and athlete for it to be truly effective."

I think that is spot on, perhaps with the additional word 'honest'. 'It needs open, honest and regular dialogue'. Stats can only be half the story.
Sep 2017
8:25am, 5 Sep 2017
3,894 posts
  •  
Kieren
Not specifically but I did do well when I was accountable to someone for while beta testing a heart rate monitor.

The requirements for me were simple:
1. record daily resting heart rate & training rating
2. Run at least 5 times a week (any type of run)
3. Email results of 1 & 2 in every week for 10 weeks
4. A fitness test (blood lactate, treadmill, track, body fat etc) to be taken at the start and end of the 10 weeks.

The accountability really helped and for that reason I have considered online coaching again. As much as many of us should be able to to motivate ourselves, many of us need detailed coaching, some of us however just need someone to ask us if if we did X session and if not, why not.

An option I considered but didn't entertain is a Fetchie who offers that service. They are a little blunt which might rub some people up the wrong way but I think would work well for me. I'm not quite ready to be coached yet - I think I can do a lot myself.

Rather than 100% online, I would recommend someone you can actually meet face to face at least once, even if the bulk of the coaching is online / email.
Sep 2017
8:26am, 5 Sep 2017
3,895 posts
  •  
Kieren
Maybe blunt it too strong. Replace with "matter of fact" ;)
Sep 2017
10:52am, 5 Sep 2017
1,354 posts
  •  
stuart little
Assuming you're near to Edinburgh, then Hawkins running would be worth a look as they're close enough to meet up face to facr occasionally/ if required.

In many ways, online coaching is the same as face to face coaching - unless you find someone you can work with and trust to set sessions to suit you, it will be difficult.

Contact a few options from those suggested above (I'm assuming the fetchie suggested by Kieran is gobi), and see which you feel is the best for for you and go with them.
Sep 2017
11:20am, 5 Sep 2017
3,111 posts
  •  
Curly45
I have had online coaching in the past. It worked well for me, but requires some relationship with the coach in my opinion. My coach stopped doing it and now I work with someone in person.

You want to at least meet up with them at the start, suss out if you are going to get on and if they understand what you want out of running and the coaching.

You are going to be giving up your hard earned cash and your body so I would want to understand previous successes for people like you, how much attention you will get (one email a week, one a day or whatever) and how often you many other athletes they are working with.

And remember, getting sessions set for you is only one part of coaching. One of the big benefits of coaching is the learning process you both go through about what works/doesnt and why. It is a long term relationship.
Sep 2017
1:25pm, 5 Sep 2017
13,410 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Great comment Curly.

About This Thread

Maintained by katypie
Hi. Has anyone used online coaching? How did it go? Any recommendations? Thanks.