Online coaching

10 watchers
Sep 2017
2:03pm, 5 Sep 2017
2 posts
  •  
RunningCoach
Coaching, online or otherwise, should ideally always be a long-term process. Even with the best rapport and communication between athlete and coach it can still take a few months (sometime much longer) for the athlete to see tangible changes in performance.

I've known athletes go to coaches expecting a magic pill that will suddenly make them PB across all distances with a couple of weeks. We all know that in endurance (the clue is in the name) the process takes time.
Sep 2017
4:03pm, 5 Sep 2017
9,740 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I have been coached by James Elson from Centurion Running for a few years now. He is a fantastic coach and I hear good things about the other Centurion coaches too.
Sep 2017
8:53am, 17 Sep 2017
5,663 posts
  •  
katypie
Thanks all for your comments. Really interesting. My goal is long term so the relationship has to be too. Basically I see me having to do 6-9 months of consistent base training to be able to understand what works for me and then target a race. I have minor health considerations that impact my running so it could take a while to see what works both in terms of meds and training.

I think I'd benefit from someone blunt but maybe not right now. After an up and down year running wise I need to build my resilience a bit too. I think when I've stopped avoiding parkrun I'll know.

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments
Sep 2017
10:17am, 17 Sep 2017
3,117 posts
  •  
Curly45
Katpie - another thought if you are unattached and not quite up to a full coaching relationship yet. Join a club. It will help you get fitter and you can get informal advice and possibly find a coach through there anyway.

Re: meds etc., it wont be a problem - its all part of the puzzle of fitting together the best training plan for you.

Good luck!
Sep 2017
8:59pm, 17 Sep 2017
5,664 posts
  •  
katypie
Curly I honestly couldn't join a club. I find the thought too intimidating. I've also got wee boys so the week is taken up with their clubs etc. Maybe when I grow a pair and they grow up a wee bit. Thank you 😊
Sep 2017
9:26pm, 17 Sep 2017
2,301 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Not sure if your searching has so far come across Donnie Campbell of getactiverunning.com ? He is based in Edinburgh, and offers online and 1-2-1 coaching.

Donnie is an international trail runner ( he won yesterday's Ben Nevis Ultra ), and is highly recommended by at least 4 current/past members of Harmeny, at least some of whom I think you probably know, and achieved amazing results with them.

If you don't know who I'm referring to, fmail me ;-)
Sep 2017
10:45pm, 17 Sep 2017
5,667 posts
  •  
katypie
Ah yes. Donnie! Impressive run yesterday
Nov 2020
8:17am, 7 Nov 2020
516 posts
  •  
Rog T
Did you end up using an online coach katypie? Of so, who and how did it go for you?

It's something I am now considering - anyone got any current recommendations?
Nov 2020
12:35am, 8 Nov 2020
5,857 posts
  •  
katypie
Yes. I’ve used a couple. I went with Hawkins Coaching. I got my PB but think the volume was high for me.

Other coaches have worked but with covid nothing to race
Nov 2020
2:37pm, 8 Nov 2020
522 posts
  •  
Rog T
Thanks katypie.

I've been in touch with Jonny Mellor Coaching and am going to give him/them a try. Mara pb target for Newport in April or London in October. Maybe a bit optimistic for April race but the training will be worthwhile anyway.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by katypie
Hi. Has anyone used online coaching? How did it go? Any recommendations? Thanks.