One for the girls - amenorrhoea

7 watchers
Jun 2011
8:42pm, 24 Jun 2011
25 posts
  •  
starsnspikes
I've done a search and can't seem to find any other topics on this so apologies if there are and I've missed one.

And sorry to the blokes but this is unlikely to be of any interest.
:p

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced amenorrhoea due to exercise (or low weight associated with exercise)? I think this may be me. My periods disappeared for a few months after coming off the pill (I was only on it for a short time but came off because it turned me into a lunatic). They seemed to be getting back to normal because I had a little one then a proper one in June. And after that, I've had nothing for a year.

Had tests, been referred to a gynaecologist - she said there were no problems other than low oestrogen which she said would be likely due to my low body weight and exercise. And she said there was nothing they could do and I just had do run less and gain weight.

Neither of which I want to do. I'm not excessively underweight, just slightly (BMI is around 18.5 now but it has been lower). And at the moment I run about 30 miles a week (in the last year it's varied from 15 to 40). So I don't get why it's affected me really. Prior to this my periods have always been perfect.

So has anyone else been through a similar thing? It's totally frustrated me because I know after a while it starts to affect your bone density. And I don't feel like they'll come back on their own any time soon.
Jun 2011
8:52pm, 24 Jun 2011
12,245 posts
  •  
Chromey
I haven't as such but atm mine are occurring every six weeks or so when previously I have been quite regular. This was since weight loss and uping my miles.

My BMI is 21 so I'm considerably larger than yaaoo!
Jun 2011
8:52pm, 24 Jun 2011
437 posts
  •  
NRGEE
Yep.....i did have a low body weight and amenorrhoea....and stress fractures......and it turned out osteoporosis when I was 26yrs old:-(

Had to reduce training and gained about 1.5stones in weight

Have had treatment for the low bone density. Now it is back in the normal range:-) Saw GP today and my BMI is 19.2- which he said was fine

Still have a bone scan every 2 years and see a consultant yearly to have my hormones measured

Lack of periods is definitely a thing to be avoided. Mine are as regular as clockwork now. My consultant still allows me to run a marathon every other year as long as my weight remains stable.

Hope you get things sorted starnspikes
Jun 2011
8:54pm, 24 Jun 2011
91 posts
  •  
Nise
It happened to me when I started running as a teenager. It didn't last overly long as my body weight evened out. I don't know what else you can do, aside from trying to eat more. I understand why you wouldn't want to stop running, so the issue of weight would be what I would focus on. Gaining a bit of weight may be the healthiest thing, especially if you want to conceive at some point in the future. Just make sure that you are eating a lot of whole foods and staying away from processed.
Jun 2011
12:28pm, 25 Jun 2011
194 posts
  •  
Mrs mjb
I have had similar problems - could set the clock by mine before I had my girls. Now cant remember the last one. I did have problems with a low oestrogen count and had to have supplements to fall pregnant the first time. The Drs couldnt find a cause except me being under weight, training and having a busy job. I am now about a stone heavier than before I had my 1st daughter but this doesnt seem to have made any difference.

I wouldnt stress too much about it as it wont help - the only issue might come when you want to have children (if you havent already!)
Jun 2011
12:42pm, 25 Jun 2011
26 posts
  •  
starsnspikes
Well I don't want to have children at the moment...but absolutely at some point in the future. And it worries me to think that at the moment it's not possible. Although the bone density is a big worry, the possibility of not being able to get pregnant terrifies me.

NRGEE - you can have treatment to fix low bone density? I didn't know that. Reassuring.

Does anyone know if there is anything you can take to help? I know the gynaecologist said there wasn't but I remember a friend who told me she was put on the pill as a teenager due to low oestrogen causing irregular periods...when she came off the pill in her twenties they were regular. I also get the feeling that the doctor I saw wasn't particularly great...she was friendly enough but I felt judged by her. Maybe that's just my paranoia. I told her I'm vegan and she smirked and acted as if it's no surprise I've lost my periods because my nutrition is poor. In actual fact, I'm one of the healthiest, most nutritionally-aware people that I know...I also eat more than most people I know.

I'm tempted to go back to the GP...but I don't know if there's any point. I just feel a bit helpless not being able to do anything to fix it. And I know I could try to gain weight (I think I have gained a couple of pounds from my lowest weight a few months ago), but I can't help but feel that it might slow me down? So I guess it's my own fault. I'm totally torn between wanting to get stronger as a runner and wanting my body to go back to normal.

My sister said the same thing happened to her for around a year, and then her periods came back on their own.

I do wonder if my oestrogen levels were lower than normal as a result of being on the pill, and my theory is that although they returned to a high enough level for my periods to return (it took about 6 months but I hear that's normal), because I lost weight and upped my training at around the same time it dipped again enough for them to stop.

I am tempted to ask the GP to put me back on the pill. I mean they say you can still get pregnant even without periods so it would be legitimate to ask.
Jun 2011
6:07pm, 25 Jun 2011
78 posts
  •  
katief89
I came off the pill around the same time that I started increasing my training alot more and haven't had anything since. And that was a year ago. My BMI is pretty average (around 23) so I don't think that's the reason but I totally agree with you on the freaking out about pregnancy - I'm 21 and it's not a plan anytime soon but for the future, yes I'm worried!

I've had hormone tests as well and the same as you - everything fine just slightly low oestrogen. I'm supposed to be going back next month if they haven't appeared (which they haven't!). I think that's a good theory though of combining coming off the pill and upping training, I think I probably lost weight around that time aswell but it's averaging out now.

I know someone mentioned that you can get put on some sort of pill to start them up again, but, in a way I don't want to put more hormones in me again when they could be what potentially caused the problem in the first place! And I'm dreading they'd tell me to stop running and see if that helps! Eek. Keep us updated!
Jun 2011
7:33pm, 25 Jun 2011
28 posts
  •  
Ruth
It's good to know I'm not alone anyway, not that I want anyone to have to go through period stress!

Let us know what happens when you go back to the doc. I think I'll make an appointment myself as well.
Jun 2011
8:57pm, 25 Jun 2011
925 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Have you asked them to check your fsh levels? When my periods packed up it turned out to be early onset menopause.
Jun 2011
10:05pm, 25 Jun 2011
29 posts
  •  
Ruth
They did two rounds of blood tests so I'm assuming that was included? When I saw the GP she went through every single result and they were all normal except for low oestrogen. The she ordered further tests which the gynaecologist said were normal.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I've done a search and can't seem to find any other topics on this so apologies if there are and I...