Once and overpronator, always an overpronator?

4 watchers
Jul 2012
8:56pm, 10 Jul 2012
170 posts
  •  
buzby123
Just wondering how many people go back for a gait analysis after first fitting of trainers. I had a gait analysis about 18 months ago and since then have just bought stability trainers off the internet at a cheaper price than shops. Having lost about a stone in the last 6 months and a lot more miles under my belt it got me wondering as to whether running gait can alter with factors like weight loss and change in style due to more experience etc. Should I get a gait analysis for each fitting of new trainers? I have just purchased more stability trainers but need some new trail shoes, my present ones don't seem to support ankles enough and my feet seem to have too much room to slide around causing me to go over on my ankle on rough ground. Not sure if these need to be stability, most trail running I do involves a tarmac run of a mile or so to reach the trail.
PQ
Jul 2012
9:18pm, 10 Jul 2012
4,838 posts
  •  
PQ
Mine altered. When I first started running I too was an overpronator. I got analysed again after a year or so and I was told I was neutral and have been running in neutral shoes ever since with no problems.
Jul 2012
9:25pm, 10 Jul 2012
3,453 posts
  •  
Kieren
I was a heavy heel striker / over pronator when I started. Then I read Gordon Piries running fast & injury free. I swapped over to racers and never looked back.

The problem I had when I was heel striking was that the shoes the running shop advised me to get, just added cushioning to my heel strike. It masked a problem rather than dealing with it.

Without intedning to drag this into a barefoot / chi / pose type thread, I do believe that the foot doesn't need correction. That being said, I have friends who over pronate and still buy racers / flats and get innersoles make up in ski shops - it's cheaper than orthotics an same effect as far as I belive? Maybe someone else can chime in on that and confirm / deny
Jul 2012
7:45am, 11 Jul 2012
3,041 posts
  •  
Tav H
I would agree that the foot doesn't need correction. However, when you wear squishy platforms and over-pronate, it makes sense that your foot would tend to roll in more than if you wear shoes with less cushioning. So I would say you do need dual density foam etc. if you like to wear clod hoppers. I still over pronate, even though I wear NB minimus daps.
Jul 2012
8:11am, 11 Jul 2012
9 posts
  •  
AndrewS
FWIW the problem isn't usually your feet, but the muscles of your lower leg that are often the problem.
Being a flat-footer, I used to have all sorts of problems (shin-splints, patella pain etc...) These were relieved to a certain extent with supportive shoes, but the real break through came when my physio told me to buy a balance-board and to spend 10-20 minutes a day on it.

I developed a much stronger arch as a result. I still used supportive shoes for longer runs (5+ miles) but could switch to light weight flats for shorter distances.
HTH
Jul 2012
8:30am, 11 Jul 2012
43,321 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I dont do pose or chi, and havent consciously altered my style but apparently I over pronate a LOT less than i used to
I still wear motion control shoes though, I feel "safe" in them
Jul 2012
8:32am, 11 Jul 2012
43,322 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
*waits for people to say you dont need cushioning/motion control in trail shoes*
Jul 2012
8:36am, 11 Jul 2012
10 posts
  •  
AndrewS
you dont need cushioning/motion control in trail shoes

*hides*
;-)
Jul 2012
8:43am, 11 Jul 2012
43,323 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
SLAPP;)
Jul 2012
8:55am, 11 Jul 2012
11 posts
  •  
AndrewS
Oww!

About This Thread

Maintained by buzby123
Just wondering how many people go back for a gait analysis after first fitting of trainers. I had a...