We don't hide behind a paywall!

Log and analyse training, find events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more.
Join Fetcheveryone

Once and overpronator, always an overpronator?

4 watchers
Jul 2012
9:06am, 11 Jul 2012
43325 posts
  •  
  •  
plodding hippo
you asked for it
:)

Buzby, i too lost a fair bit of weight
Jul 2012
9:10am, 11 Jul 2012
10163 posts
  •  
  •  
Naomi P
You know what, I've just sat here and thought about my feet (that's enough to depress me for the next 10 minutes) and I don't know whether I overpronate or not.

My feet are totally flat with no arch whatsoever, and one collapsed even further about 18 months after I started increasing the miles. I've run in Asics Kayanos throughout with no problems and now run more of my miles in Asics Gel-DS that are much lighter. Not quite a racer but not a big mileage shoe, they're ok for up to 1/2 mara for me.

So, my not-much-of-a-conclusion is that I have no idea if I overpronate any more or any less but if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

My experience of trail shoes was terrible, I couldn't run anywhere near my normal speed in them and they all felt like boats. And yes, I know speed isn't the be all and end all, but if you can get home faster, why wouldn't you want to?
Jul 2012
9:14am, 11 Jul 2012
43326 posts
  •  
  •  
plodding hippo
I agree if not broken dont try to fix
My flat feet casued such concern when i was a bitty lass that i had hours pf physio which did fck all
was told i would never walk properly

B*****

I love my trail shoes(Innov8) to walk abiut in, but I would not run more than a few miles in them
Jul 2012
9:32am, 11 Jul 2012
3042 posts
  •  
  •  
Tav H
"If not broken don't try to fix".

Rewind 30 years or so. Tell this to the shoe manufacturers. Job done! :-)
Jul 2012
10:36am, 11 Jul 2012
1397 posts
  •  
  •  
spinkle
My legs/hips/feet are hypermobile and without correction of my feet I would be even less efficient than I am. I'd look like Mr Jelly.

Oh, I think I *already* do.

As well as running, if I didn't have my arches artificially jacked up for everyday stuff then my foot/toe joints would be even more mashed and warped.

However, when I started running I was neutral through and through. The miles have taken their toll.
Jul 2012
11:05am, 11 Jul 2012
12 posts
  •  
  •  
AndrewS
I totally agree about the "if it aint broke..." philosophy.
The obsession with gait analysis was probably started by the shoe industry. But,saying that, if you *do* have lower leg problems then it is always worth getting a pro to take a look at your feet/legs/gait...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by buzby123
Just wondering how many people go back for a gait analysis after first fitting of trainers. I had a...