On Bended Knees - May 2022 Book Group discussion thread

11 watchers
Jun 2022
8:26pm, 18 Jun 2022
12,946 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I found this an odd and difficult read. Although it's not badly written I didn't enjoy the way the story developed. There seemed to be a series of random events and random characters that didn't make for a very coherent story. The parts spent in England didn't work at all in my opinion.

I felt it got better when he arrived in Berlin as it became more interesting. The characters were still pretty random, Herr Poppel especially but there was the odd passage that came to life. Maybe because it's I've been to Berlin but the descriptions of the city were the best bit for me. It was also interesting to hear German views on the war and Nazi-ism even if these were uncomfortable.

It made a lot of sense when I read the foreword to find out that a lot of it was auto-biographical. Life is often odder than fiction but it doesn't always make good literature.

Not sure I'd try anything else by this author but the bits about Berlin just about made this a worthwhile read.

I gave this book a 5.
Jun 2022
8:31pm, 18 Jun 2022
12,947 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
*applauds McG's excellent pastiche*

So much better than this book! :-)
Jun 2022
9:13pm, 18 Jun 2022
51,506 posts
  •  
McGoohan
:-)
Jun 2022
9:20pm, 18 Jun 2022
12,949 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
BTW, do you want your copy back?
Jun 2022
9:24pm, 18 Jun 2022
51,507 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Noooo. Ta, but no. Charity shop or another Fetchie wanting to catch up?
Jun 2022
10:00am, 19 Jun 2022
90,266 posts
  •  
Hanneke
It made a lot of sense when I read the foreword to find out that a lot of it was auto-biographical. Life is often odder than fiction but it doesn't always make good literature.

Well put!
Aug 2022
9:57pm, 23 Aug 2022
26,460 posts
  •  
Serendippily
This book took me about three months to read and put me off reading anything else (along with drop city which is still mid way) so it seemed overkind to give it more than a 7. But yet I did find it’s brutal style and stark descriptions of terribly violence amid turgid mundanity quite effective. I just would have appreciated something a bit more chirpy
Aug 2022
10:04pm, 23 Aug 2022
26,461 posts
  •  
Serendippily
That was a very good pastiche. The football and tv scene I thought was very good. I actually thought the beach scene with herr poppel was also good. And I agree with Columba about it being the effect of war and something about the anger re the smug certainty of youth. A lot was as overegged as the dogs diet

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
Linds has chozzen On Bended Knees by Martin Goodman which is a proper serious book with all words and stuff.

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 112,272 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here