Olympic Games Tokyo 2020ish

51 watchers
Sep 2021
9:52am, 2 Sep 2021
15,303 posts
  •  
larkim
Thanks um - hopefully I found the right language! I have a son with learning disabilities and am acutely aware that getting language right when trying to have a sensible and rational discussion in these sorts of areas is very tricky (and I don't always get it right) to avoid causing offence.

She stands out as a pretty unusual example of someone who has actually competed on the non-para stage at truly elite level, though it may also be that there are other athletes that I am less aware of that fit that criteria. I've got no problem at all with her classification or the rules around that, I think it's more that *for me* if I had been able to compete in non-para at elite level (but perhaps not quite make the very, very top step in terms of OLG gold or world champs) I don't think I would look to para sport even if I fitted the classification.

But maybe with her progression, having started as a para swimmer (where her disability has a much, much clearer and obvious impact on her performance capabilities*) means she is much more closely aligned with para sport than the hypothetical "me" in the scenario above.

*I'm aware that makes it sound like I am questionning the classification; I'm not (I don't think), just that the underdeveloped limb is presumably far more important in propulsion as a swimmer than it is when riding as a cyclist.
Sep 2021
2:01pm, 2 Sep 2021
23,060 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Im pretty sure I remember seeing an interview with her around this issue larkim. She grew up disabled and it was disability sport that gave her the breaks and the training. It was a recognition of her skill when she was chosen to compete in the able-bodied version but it wasn’t where she belonged. I suspect you’d get similar divides where some girls are good enough to qualify in men’s teams but actually want to upskill and inspire their teammates rather than swap. But not everyone would make the same choices. I’ll see if I can find the interview
Sep 2021
2:02pm, 2 Sep 2021
23,061 posts
  •  
Serendippily
*where she felt she belonged* I should say. It is a minefield!
Sep 2021
2:30pm, 2 Sep 2021
15,304 posts
  •  
larkim
Interesting, thanks!
Sep 2021
4:35pm, 2 Sep 2021
12,526 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Um, on the last page you mentioned about the skill level of pilots. I had previously wondered if there are any criteria for pilots or could anyone do it? (that can produce the required amount of power). Is there anything to stop putting Laura Kenny in as a pilot?
um
Sep 2021
5:12pm, 2 Sep 2021
5,106 posts
  •  
um
I wanted her to get Chris Hoy for the kilo !
I'm not sure, but I think there's a rule that says 'no professionals', but I'll have a look and see if I can find that. There is alos a rule that a woman can't have a male pilot, assuming that's not just etiquette?

But many, if not most, of the pilots are ex-professional or ex-national cyclists in their own right. Jenny, Sophie's pilot, has just come out of 3 years of the British Cycling Junior Academy.

I think all the cycling athletes you saw (GB) will have the benefit of a UK Sport Athlete Performance Award, funded by the National Lottery, and typically one of the top 2 tiers (A: Olympics or World Champ medallist or B: Olympics or World Champ Top-8). Same criteria and funding for all, 'full' and 'para', pilots & stokers
um
Sep 2021
5:16pm, 2 Sep 2021
5,107 posts
  •  
um
Here you go CW, UCI Cycling regs

Tandem Pilots
16.3.003 Professional cyclists being members of a UCI registered team may not take part as a tandem pilot.

16.3.004 Cyclists who were members of a UCI World Team or UCI Professional Continental Team must respect a waiting period of 12 months after their contract expires before taking part as a tandem pilot. This waiting period comes on 1st January the next year after the end of the contract for cyclists who were members of one of the other UCI teams described at article 1.1.041 of the UCI rules.

16.3.005 Men and women cyclists over 18 years of age, may race as tandem pilots, provided they have not been selected by their national federation in one of the following events (all

disciplines):

− UCI World Championships (except Masters, Para-cycling and Junior) and Olympic Games – at least 12 months preceding the para-cycling event;

− UCI World Cup, regional games and continental championships (i.e. Commonwealth Games, Pan-American Games, Asian Games, Mediterranean Games, European Championships, ...) – the same year of the para-cycling event (except Junior).

16.3.006 Each visually impaired athlete is allowed a maximum of one pilot for any para-cycling competition. The athlete and his pilot shall have the same sporting nationality.

16.3.007 In the event of an injury or illness and upon presentation of a medical certificate, the pilot may be replaced by another pre-registered pilot up to 24 hours before the official start of the competition in which the tandem is taking part. After this deadline, no change will be allowed.
Sep 2021
5:26pm, 2 Sep 2021
12,527 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
ah, thanks for the explanation and rules. Very interesting.
Sep 2021
8:42pm, 2 Sep 2021
2,788 posts
  •  
Oranj
There is a fantastic photo of Sarah Storey in the road race on The Guardian website. The absolute definition of 'bouncing down' with rain:

theguardian.com
Sep 2021
8:48pm, 2 Sep 2021
15,278 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
CW - the other thing to bear in mind that if you're (say, for example) Laura Kenny, that the time taken training on the tandem with your rider (and it's not as simple as sticking someone on the front as a pilot - I'm guessing that it takes time to build the relationship in training) is time you're not training on *your* schedule.

That's not to say there's not overlap and theoretically it's possible, but I expect both at the Olympic and Paralympic elite level, there will be distinct tailored training and racing schedules which make it practically impossible.

About This Thread

Maintained by Oscar the Grouch
Anyone else excited for the Olympics?

A place to discus(s) all things Olympics.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.