"Official PB Race"

3 watchers
Sep 2013
1:08pm, 9 Sep 2013
1,958 posts
  •  
Alex Bampton
Paul - I "think" that the Power of 10 rankings for 5k / 10k etc distances are only for courses that have sufficient "road" (tarmac path etc) terrain in them so parkrun isn't listed as a PB because it doesn't fill that criteria not because there is doubt on the distance measured.

In general terms PB means the fastest you have ever run on a properly measured course. On this site, with there being no constraints on terrain that UKA have I didn't think it would be a problem what your time was run on as long as it was accurately measured.
Sep 2013
1:24pm, 9 Sep 2013
3,912 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Alex - no, I think parkrun is a separate category in principle. For example, some of them are 100% tarmac (I've only ever run on tarmac in parkruns here). While they might be (or might not be) accurately measured at set-up - they're clearly not re-measured every week, and things might change slightly (sometimes weather reasons, maybe a marshal mistake). I think that they have come up with the right treatment for parkrun - recording them, but as a separate category.

I'm not sure why you're worried though - a parkrun *is* showing as your PB here.
Sep 2013
1:42pm, 9 Sep 2013
5,354 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
As ptb says, some pr's are accurately, officially, measured (e.g. Leeds is I know), some are accurately measured where possible, but not officially measured (these used to be the 5kNAD on Po10), and some are not that accurately measured (i.e. they were done with a Garmin or similar, rather than a proper measuring wheel or similar).

However, that's nothing to do with the Po10 rankings really - although it does make Po10's life a bit easier because the accuracy of course measurement prs can be difficult to ascertain for the reasons PtB outlined.

The real reason is that they aren't officially licensed races, yes-we know they are really and we can count them as pb's, but officially according to parkrun's blurb and the way they are insured by UKA, they aren't officially races, and therefore cannot count on rankings, yet they will still show on an athlete's Po10 profile. This is a sensible compromise in my opinion.

It should also help keep some of those club-run 5k road races up and afloat in the face of the 'blight' of parkruns killing them.
Sep 2013
1:43pm, 9 Sep 2013
840 posts
  •  
Pricey_
rf_fozzy - you miss the blindingly obvious that if a road race isn't certified by UKA (or ARC) and hasn't been officially measured, it shouldn't count as a PB race. Additionally, some races do get measured properly but then the race organiser cocks up and it ends up short (e.g. Cardiff Half a few years back, or to my annoyance - my only sub-33 10k @ the Bourton 10k).

Anyway, my question here came because I'm doing the RNR this weekend and as it's an odd distance - 9.24m - there's no point in it being listed as a PB.
Sep 2013
1:44pm, 9 Sep 2013
841 posts
  •  
Pricey_
that post was in response to your post on the first page. Not the other parkrun related one you just made ;)
Sep 2013
1:55pm, 9 Sep 2013
5,355 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yes, that's true Pricey, but there are relatively few of those of which I am aware, because otherwise they won't be insured.

In that case, you drop feedback to Ian and can change it manually on the database.

Re: RNR leg whatever - list as a race of 9.24mi and it can be an "official pb" - why not? Just because it's not a standard distance?

I do lots of relays with my club (albeit run in pairs - i.e. 'proper' long distance relays) and the legs are all odd distances, but so many people had run that we know the distances are 'right' (sort of within 1-2%). I always count them as "pbs"- even if it's just a course pb
Sep 2013
2:06pm, 9 Sep 2013
13,415 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The reason it was removed (over a year ago now) is that it's quicker to switch off those races that shouldn't be PBs, than it is to switch on the ones that have been incorrectly turned off.
Sep 2013
2:14pm, 9 Sep 2013
13,416 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
For the benefit of the tape, my stance on the "officially measured" thing is that there are no prizes for speed here, so if someone wants to claim a PB on a course that was half a mile short, then it's fully up to that person, only cheating themselves etc :-) If there are multiple people listed for a race, I usually get several reports if it was short or long - and I will happily go with the majority.
Sep 2013
2:14pm, 9 Sep 2013
842 posts
  •  
Pricey_
rf fozzy > more of an aesthetic thing for my profile I guess - I wouldn't count it as a PB as I'm unlikely to ever race that distance again. Having loads of silly distances on profile page looks messy, particularly if that distance appears once in 8 years' (in my case) running history. I am also not entirely sure that your point about insurance is correct. It is possible to get insurance for an event without it being sanctioned by UKA.

fetch > figured it was removed a while ago, but I haven't added a race for about a year as I was injured ;) So here's a question - RNR stage 7 is already in the database as a PB race - I tried to add a second instance of this race to have "No pb" but it automatically just directed me to the existing race. So it appears your website is too clever in removing duplicates ;) to allow two races - one as PB, one as no PB. I don't believe it is officially measured, but realise some people might want it to show as a PB. It's no massive bother, I just won't add the race. But thought I'd check here for the answer - thanks for popping in :)
Sep 2013
2:22pm, 9 Sep 2013
13,417 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
On your profile page, there's a list of "pop" distances with your PB times - it's only in the detailed list below that you'll see the odd ones. I can see that that lower list can get cluttered - but that's why there's that bit at the top :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Pricey
How do I add a race with "no" for the PB race bit? It seems to have gone.

p.s. sorry if this ha...