Official Pacer

3 watchers
Jul 2016
7:08pm, 17 Jul 2016
4 posts
  •  
jamesy1981
Hello everyone, I think this is pretty much my first forum post in several years as a member, so apologies if it is in the wrong place or an already asked question! I have done a search and can't see any answers.

Basically I have pretty much given up on running and fallen out of love with it for the longest period in quite some time, but one thing I think might keep me going is being allowed to officially 'pace' certain times at races. Not for money or even a free entry, I would just enjoy it. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how best to get into this? I have emailed a couple of race organisers offering my services but I imagine their inboxes will be rammed with questions about every subject under the sun. Obviously I appreciate I'd need to take on pacing times that are slower than my own PB to ensure that I can see out the job.

Any advice is really appreciated, you might help me get out of a running rut!
Jul 2016
7:10pm, 17 Jul 2016
34,128 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It might be worth making a start by offering to take a pace group at a parkrun near you. I suspect the best way into a pacing role in bigger races is word of mouth and reputation for being reliable.

I landed a pacing role at a high profile half marathon a few years ago by being on this site at the right time, and enjoyed it very much :)
Jul 2016
7:24pm, 17 Jul 2016
69 posts
  •  
RRRrunner
Ditto. Drop your local parkrun team (assuming you have one) an email I'm sure they would love to have you volunteer as a pacer. If they don't have them already you may find you help start a regular pacing group there.

Good luck!
Jul 2016
7:27pm, 17 Jul 2016
5 posts
  •  
jamesy1981
Thanks folks, I have paced at the local parkrun a few times (I am also a member of a parkrun core team for their junior event actually!)

I'll keep at it!
Jul 2016
8:03pm, 17 Jul 2016
6 posts
  •  
jamesy1981
I asked the same question of my running club and a couple of people have pointed me at this: racepacing.com

I thought i'd share it in case anybody else came on this forum to look for a similar answer.
Jul 2016
8:44pm, 17 Jul 2016
34,129 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That's very useful, thanks :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jamesy1981
Hello everyone, I think this is pretty much my first forum post in several years as a member, so apo...