Off road running shoes, to double as hiking shoes

4 watchers
Mar 2019
8:49pm, 24 Mar 2019
506 posts
  •  
Trin
Next month we're going to Peru and will be trekking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. So we were just going through the kit list and I need to get some lightweight hiking boots, but I don't get on with hiking boots, and I'm unlikely to get much wear out of them after this trip.

So I was thinking, as I intend to get back into ultra running next year maybe a good pair of off road running shoes would be better.
When we went up Everest in '13 I wore my Hokas and my Salomons, (I don't know what happened to them, probably ditched them in the move to Spain).

What's the news on trail shoes... any recommendations?
Mar 2019
9:17pm, 24 Mar 2019
12,075 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I hike in my Inov-8 roclites - when I get around to buying a new pair it will be the roclite "boots"" to run and walk in, but at the moment it's the 282GTXs.
Mar 2019
9:41pm, 24 Mar 2019
507 posts
  •  
Trin
Thanks Rosehip :)
Mar 2019
9:47pm, 24 Mar 2019
12,427 posts
  •  
Homer
Roclites are awesome. I love hiking in them, light and fast.

There is a choice though. For long walks I find that the inov-8s and other trail shoes can struggle with hard, rocky routes over many days. So, I also use hiking shoes for lock rocky multi-day trips, Scarpa Vortex XCR are brilliant. Heaver than the Inov-8s but brill.

Not sure what the terrain on your trail is but worth thinking.
Mar 2019
10:09pm, 24 Mar 2019
508 posts
  •  
Trin
Thanks Homer, we're doing a 5 day trek up to Machu Picchu which will vary underfoot from trail to rocky ground. I don't want to spend a load of money on shoes that I won't wear again though.
I've just looked at the Roclites and the Roclite 315 look good, but obviously concerned about the fit as they appear to vary quite a lot in width.

Any experience of fitting issues?
Mar 2019
7:52am, 25 Mar 2019
12,430 posts
  •  
Homer
They do vary. Its worth taking a trip to somewhere like Ellis Brigham that will have a wall load of them to try on
Mar 2019
8:47am, 25 Mar 2019
511 posts
  •  
Trin
But I live in Spain 😉
Mar 2019
7:56pm, 25 Mar 2019
525 posts
  •  
Trin
I've bitten the bullet and gone for the Roclite 315's :)

They were 89 euros on Sportshoes (46% off!)
Mar 2019
2:19pm, 26 Mar 2019
12,434 posts
  •  
Homer
Bargain!
Mar 2019
2:35pm, 26 Mar 2019
2,950 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
A bit late in replying seeing as you have now bought, but in case the Rolcite's don't fit and you send them back.....

The Hoka Speedgoat would make a great trail walking shoe - loads of underfoot protection ( more so than the Rolcite ), although the tread is not as deep ( I think 4mm lugs rather than 6mm on Roclite ) so maybe better to drier than muddier trails. But if you're in Spain you probably don't worry about too much mud !
There's a waterproof version also ( as there is for the Roclite )

About This Thread

Maintained by
Next month we're going to Peru and will be trekking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. So we were ...