Off road running shoes, to double as hiking shoes

4 watchers
Mar 2019
3:05pm, 26 Mar 2019
4,245 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
It’s funny, I was going to ask a similar question as my husband is struggling to find walking boots that don’t hurt his feet, I think it’s down to him having a wide forefoot and boots are so stiff when new.

I suggested to him that some waterproof trail running shoes might suit him better. I’m used to buying inov8 in standard fit for my wide feet, does anyone know how they are for men with wide feet and shouldn’t he go up a size from normal shoes as I have to do?
Mar 2019
3:16pm, 26 Mar 2019
2,955 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
All Inov-8 shoes are now given a width fitting, ranging from 1 to 5, with 1 being the narrowest and 5 the widest. So some models are wider than others - the width number is shown on the Inov8 website.

I think they only do one boot, the Roclite, and that is a 3 - so medium width
Mar 2019
3:34pm, 26 Mar 2019
528 posts
  •  
Trin
Thanks K5, I used to wear Hoka years ago and loved them for off road ultras, the last time I wore them was when we trekked up to Everest Base camp and then ran the Everest Marathon in them in 2013, they were great, didn't let me down.

I'm buying these trail shoes for hiking and running. First for when we do the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in May, and then for running trail ultras, which I suspect will be mostly in the UK.

They are supposed to be a 3 on the width scale so should be ok :)
It's only 4 weeks until we leave for Peru so couldn't wait too much longer to get them, fingers crossed they'll be good :)
Mar 2019
3:47pm, 26 Mar 2019
4,248 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thanks Gus, I didn’t know the sizing has changed. I was looking at the Roclite 315 for him and they are a width 3 but no idea how that compares to the width of the average walking boot!
Mar 2019
4:30pm, 26 Mar 2019
529 posts
  •  
Trin
FDNB, If it's any help, they quote 1 being a B width and 5 being EE I think, so 3 should be around a D

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Next month we're going to Peru and will be trekking the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. So we were ...