Off road cycling courage

1 watcher
Nov 2017
12:57pm, 26 Nov 2017
3,812 posts
  •  
Blotts Mate
I am fearless on the road on a bicycle but off road I freeze. Have just been out on my 'cross bike for the first time in a year & as soon as I come across even a slight downward incline, not by any means a plummet or any challenging terrain my brain says NOOOO-O-O and I freeze. I did a CX season 4 or 5 years ago, I didn't enjoy it but I reached a level of bravery that made it possible. Obv I could just not go off road but there is some lovely countryside for off roading around here & there is a mental problem here that needs sorting. Plus it will do no end of good improving my dodgy balance & bike handling issues. Any tips anyone?
Nov 2017
1:11pm, 26 Nov 2017
46,290 posts
  •  
swittle
Could you perhaps recce part or all of the off-road routes you'd like to try on foot? I see you converted from running to cycling, so my idea would be to run the hairier or steeper parts to familiarise yourself with gradients, terrain & any obstacles.

You could then take some downhills a little faster on foot and so acquire more confidence.
Nov 2017
1:23pm, 26 Nov 2017
3,813 posts
  •  
Blotts Mate
Do you mean hop off the bike, run down, go back up & then go down on the bike?
Nov 2017
1:26pm, 26 Nov 2017
46,291 posts
  •  
swittle
I was thinking about a running recce - if you've a circular course, you could collect the bike and see how your performance on it changes. I run but I'm averse to falling off, so have not cycled for decades.

My idea is to cover a section in a controlled manner safely, then use that success on the bike.
Nov 2017
2:10pm, 26 Nov 2017
3,814 posts
  •  
Blotts Mate
Not currently up to running the route but your suggestion is a good one, thanks!
Nov 2017
2:46pm, 26 Nov 2017
2,607 posts
  •  
decorum
Perhaps purposely cyclocross the routes? Cycle some bits, dismount and run/walk the designated obstacles ... you can always decide to go back and ride through that bit instead ;-) (or ride through it the next time)
Nov 2017
4:59pm, 26 Nov 2017
3,815 posts
  •  
Blotts Mate
I think that is a good plan, takes the anxiety away giving yourself the choice. If I stick with eventually I will stay on the bike unless it is real challenge to save the faff of getting off & on. Thanks.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Blotts Mate
I am fearless on the road on a bicycle but off road I freeze. Have just been out on my 'cross b...