Oakley 20

24 watchers
Apr 2012
10:03am, 2 Apr 2012
1,518 posts
  •  
sarah1
I did kinky, vets 45 & I'm really delighted :) Love being old ;)
Apr 2012
11:43am, 2 Apr 2012
1,689 posts
  •  
ndellar
Photos are up on the Ed Stagg website - what a bunch of happy campers me, schnecke and WW looked at 18 miles! :) edstaggphotography.com
Ted
Apr 2012
12:14pm, 2 Apr 2012
11,172 posts
  •  
Ted
Well done Sarah :-)
Apr 2012
12:58pm, 2 Apr 2012
3,520 posts
  •  
Marts
D2D - it was held under ARC rules not UKA rules and Power of 10 is a UKA run rankings list. ARC events mean that the £2 levy goes mainly to the organising club rather than the UKA races where the £2 levy goes towards subsidising track runners. Other than that the races are the same and there is no noticable difference from a runner's point of view.

My 5k, 10k, 10M, 20M PB times are missing from PO10 for this reason and my 5M time is missing as it is wrongly classed as XC when a) it wasn't and b) the same course 2y earlier is listed as my 5M PB. All of these are proper PBs on fetch therefore fecth is better than PO10 :) ;)
Apr 2012
1:22pm, 2 Apr 2012
19,276 posts
  •  
Frobester
In all seriousness it'd be nice to understand why UKA and ARA don't merge - if you're affiliated to an ARA-member club you only benefit financially by running in ARA-recognised races - to benefit from all you'd need to pay both UKA and ARA which strikes me as a bit of a money-making opportunity...
Apr 2012
1:35pm, 2 Apr 2012
3,522 posts
  •  
Marts
ARC was set up in response to the Sport England and EA/UKA licensing charges (currently £5 per runner) to try and retain more money in road running rather than road runners paying for track leagues and events (and to subsidise Mark Lewis Francis to reach the 2nd round of the Olympic 100m again ;) )

A lot of entry forms just say 'affiliated' and I think to help out runners the don't ask too many questions as to who your club is affiliated to.

I reckon about 5% of the races I enter each year actually ask for my UKA license number. UKA only costs £5 a year and you can get that back as £5 off a sweatshop purchase so in effect it can cost nothing. (and unlike the £5 voucher sweatshop give out at the end of some races it can be used against sale items)
Apr 2012
2:33pm, 2 Apr 2012
6,638 posts
  •  
(schnell)Schnecke
Lol at that pic of us ndellar - we look far too happy for people who've just run 18 undulating miles!! :-)
Apr 2012
8:07pm, 2 Apr 2012
718 posts
  •  
Woad Wunner
Agreed - I've looked far worse in photo's than that.
Apr 2012
9:49pm, 2 Apr 2012
1,162 posts
  •  
Old Man
Marts - the other thing with ARC races is you don't have to run for your first claim club, you can run for any of the clubs you may be a member of so long as you put it on the form - as happened at Folksworth this year when the winner ran for NVH, his second claim club rather than Notts AC, his first claim outfit.

Should be interesting when he pops up in Cambs RL fixtures later this year which are run under ARC rules, but Cambs RL is a Cambs AA event and therefore EA rules will apply for that - follow me so far?!! I'll be watching!! have pointed it out to the County RR Sec on the County AA!!!
Nov 2012
5:01pm, 4 Nov 2012
953 posts
  •  
rosehip
Is it time to resurrect this thread with

The 2013 Oakley 20 will be held on Sunday 24th March - Start Time 10.00am

-Race and Entry Details will be Announced Shortly-

How soon is shortly and how quick does it fill up?

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Anybody raced this before?

What's the course profile like?

Is it tougher than the Bury 20?