Numb/stiff jaw - any ideas

8 watchers
Nov 2013
1:58pm, 6 Nov 2013
2,154 posts
  •  
Curly45
Just in case anyone is wondering... am waiting an appointment at the neuro department of the local hospital which my gp arranged as she was stumped (she spoke to the consultant there and so was he). Hopefully it wont take too long to come through.
Nov 2013
2:11pm, 6 Nov 2013
5,880 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Gonna say it wasn't tetanus, as if you have one injection in your late teens, they say that covers you for life, as I found out several years ago presenting myself to the local hospital minor injuries after being bitten by a dog while out running.

Sounds like some sort of virus to me, hope you're better soon.
Nov 2013
8:43pm, 6 Nov 2013
11,266 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
Oh no Curly hope they get you sorted quickly, its horrid when the dr dont know :-(
Nov 2013
9:03pm, 6 Nov 2013
9,420 posts
  •  
McGoohan
That's odd Chris - I came off my bike in 2000 and was badly scratched up with dirt in the wounds and the docs gave me a tetanus 'booster' as it was more than 10 years since I'd had one previously.
Nov 2013
2:47pm, 8 Nov 2013
5,885 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Mine would have been 2008 - I was a little taken aback as I'd gone in specially for a shot thinking it was more than 10 years, as really the wound was fairly minor, but had broken the skin and drawn blood. I told them last one would have been 91/92 time.
Nov 2013
3:03pm, 8 Nov 2013
5,271 posts
  •  
becca7
I hope you get an appointment soon and that it is all OK Curly.
Nov 2013
12:09pm, 10 Nov 2013
2,165 posts
  •  
Curly45
Hi guys thanks for all the comments so far.

Am no better and slowly getting worse. I have an appointment date now, but am going to try and go private for the initial consultation. The unit is at the same hospital and the same consultant I will be seeing but I just cannot wait any longer. (I'll leave aside my feelings about this for now)

Anyway, procedural question... I have gone private once before when I had amazing health insurance and they arranged it all for me. Now I will be paying myself, will I still need the referral letter from my gp? I don't have it currently as she faxed it, but I can try to get it on Monday.
Nov 2013
12:48pm, 10 Nov 2013
16,879 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Yes, you would still normally need a referral letter.

Alternatively you could try to phone the consultant's secretary at the NHS hospital and explain that you want to go private and see if they can pass the letter through to the private secretary. Might not work if the consultant doesn't have a secretary and all the letters go through a central referral system which is the usual state of affairs these days.

Good luck.
Nov 2013
12:59pm, 10 Nov 2013
2,166 posts
  •  
Curly45
Thanks Johnny. I know his NHS and private secretaries are different peeps and the NHS one is scary (spoke to her on the phone about my worsening symptoms but she told me to go back to my gp (who told me to contact the hospital)).. I'll try the gp first before I risk phoning scary again.
Nov 2013
8:43am, 12 Nov 2013
2,170 posts
  •  
Curly45
Wow private works fast! Got in with a former 2:36 marathon runner neurology consultant last night.

Unfortunately, I don't have the classic symptoms of anything, but he doesn't think its MS (woot) or RSD, he says the most likely cause is inflammation on the brain or the top of the spinal cord... Sounds dramatic, but apparently us quite common. He will order an urgent mri (on the nhs), and if it is that then the treatment is steroids to reduce the swelling and if the cause of swelling is obvious and treatable then something for that too.

If nothing on the scan then its lumbar puncture time and they will possibly admit me to get all tests done at once. If I get worse I have to text him and let him know because obviously it can be serious, but is okay at the moment to do what I feel I can :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Curly45
Allreet guys... bit of a weird one here.

Been feeling a bit meh for a week or two so asked my coa...