Numb foot

4 watchers
Oct 2011
2:45pm, 19 Oct 2011
27 posts
  •  
TwoTinNic
Has anyone suffered from a numb foot while running? Usually combined with tight calves and a pain on the outside of the ankle...not sure if they are all related though?

Its definately not my trainers being too tight as I have loosened them off and bought elastic laces. Ive been to see a physio, she fiddled about with some scar tissue in my ankle but the problem just keeps coming back. Its getting frustrating and im at the point now where I cant run further than 1mile before I have no feeling in my foot.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?
Oct 2011
2:53pm, 19 Oct 2011
9,451 posts
  •  
RuthB2
Yes I have, but I have no idea what caused it or cured it.

sorry.

*slinks off, sheepishly*
Oct 2011
2:56pm, 19 Oct 2011
5,671 posts
  •  
Maz 1974
elaborate hun.... toes? sole of foot? or from the ankle down?

always the same foot?

sounds kinda trapped nerve-ish, eh?
Oct 2011
3:22pm, 19 Oct 2011
3,760 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I did a few years back, everyone blamed my trainers being too tight - but turned out to be achillies being too tight (I think) saw a local sports physio and they sorted it for me.

good luck
Oct 2011
3:25pm, 19 Oct 2011
9,666 posts
  •  
HellsBells
at a wild gues I'd say peroneal nerve compression, but wouldn't like to commit to that without a bit more information
Where does it get numb? Is it only when you're running?
Oct 2011
4:11pm, 19 Oct 2011
9 posts
  •  
GWil
Yes, it happens to me too. Both feet and after about 8 miles. I've had a lot of calf and achillis problems in the past, don't know if its connected - getting through the achillis problems with the help of chi running but numb feet appeared again yesterday on lsr. Stopping for a few minutes seems to bring feeling back but not really what I want to be doing
Oct 2011
8:34am, 20 Oct 2011
28 posts
  •  
TwoTinNic
Haha thanks Ruth :D

Maz/HellsBells - I very often get numb toes for no reason, just sitting/lying down, but when i run its the whole foot that goes numb, going by memory i think it starts at the toes and spreads to the whole foot. It is always the right foot, but does sometimes happen to my left foot but never so bad and usually only the toes. And it is usually accompanied by a tight soleus, the numbness does ease after about an hour or so of running with lots of walking breaks

Trapped nerve definately sounds like something that it could be....the physio worked on knotty bits up the outside of my leg which helped until i started to run again (although it helped with the ankle pain but not the numb foot). I wonder if maybe trying a different physio might be the answer?

Its not a good solution is it GWil! I had to stop every 100metres in a 10km last year to try and get the feeling back in my foot....it led to a very slow race and being overtaken by a woman in her 70s asking if i was ok (im 29) was not a good feeling haha! I hope you manage to sort out your numb feet!

Thank you all very much for your replies, I now feel like there could be a solution to the problem :o) x
Oct 2011
8:42am, 20 Oct 2011
1,405 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I have numb foot/feet at least half the year. In my case there are two reasons. The right leg only concerns (if I remember rightly) a small bone in my ankle (talus I think) that slips out of place and traps the peroneal nerve, or something. Anyway it's a nerve issue - and if I carry on running or walking and warm up slowly it's ok. Also lots of calf stretching and strengthening and foot exercises help. But a bore to remember to do.

Other thing - do you suffer from Raynaud's condition? Mine is bad enough to affect me in summer (ha ha) as well as more severely in winter. Just a thought.
Oct 2011
8:46am, 20 Oct 2011
8,116 posts
  •  
Pootle
I get dead foot sometimes in compression socks.
Oct 2011
8:48am, 20 Oct 2011
1,147 posts
  •  
Kimmy
Do you get any back pain at all? That can refer down to the foot. The physio should have screened that out though at your initial assessment

About This Thread

Maintained by TwoTinNic
Has anyone suffered from a numb foot while running? Usually combined with tight calves and a pain o...