Numb feet

1 watcher
Aug 2012
10:59am, 14 Aug 2012
First-time poster!!
  •  
joybelle
Ok, be gentle with me this is my very first post. Went for a run this morning and my calves were slightly painful which wore off some time after warming up. Then I developed pins and needles in both feet which eventually developed into a variety of numb areas in both feet, different places at different times. This has never happened before, is it related to the calf pain or is it something else. All have returned to normal now and I never considered shortening my run as it's only 3.25 miles.
Aug 2012
11:00am, 14 Aug 2012
19,479 posts
  •  
swittle
Welcome to Fetch, joybelle!

Go and see your GP.
Aug 2012
11:07am, 14 Aug 2012
4,912 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Welcome to fetch!

I believe it's not uncommon for runners, and I *think* it isn't something to get too worried about, although you should always get something like this checked out by the GP/physio.
Aug 2012
11:08am, 14 Aug 2012
1,203 posts
  •  
Old Man
Welcome to Fetch JB

The pins and needles and numbness maybe due to the shoes being tied to tight, not sure if thats linked to the discomfort in your calves though

Has anyone shown you the "butterfly" knot for lacing your shoes?
Aug 2012
11:28am, 14 Aug 2012
14,336 posts
  •  
Stumpy
my first thought was wondering if the lacing was too tight too.

hello. :-) and welcome to fetch :-)

PS have a good stretch of your calves. and do you have a foam roller? they are quite good for easing tight muscles
Aug 2012
11:45am, 14 Aug 2012
641 posts
  •  
Yazoo
And a welcome to Fetch from me too... I used to suffer from this a lot and found that loosening laces/stretching calves really helped with the problem.
Aug 2012
11:50am, 14 Aug 2012
9,071 posts
  •  
Pootle
Are you running in Asics, by any chance?

Shoes of the devil, they are.
Aug 2012
1:30pm, 14 Aug 2012
2 posts
  •  
joybelle
Thanks folks, will see if it happens again on Thursday, oin which case I will see my GP otherwise I shall worry no more.

And I think my trainers are Pumas.
Aug 2012
1:41pm, 14 Aug 2012
1,204 posts
  •  
Old Man
There is an example of how to butterfly lace trainers on You Tube that I found this morning

Well done on running 3.25m by the way, that's a great start in the build up for the GSR, I'm sure you'll be fine come the day
Aug 2012
2:09pm, 14 Aug 2012
551 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hello & welcome - just to reiterate the checking of laces as I had this problem with pins & needles, and it does sometimes seem to cause calf pain as well. I also find I have to wear trainer liner socks - if I wear any that sit above my ankle I get pins and needles in my feet - I must have feet that swell inordinately when I run on them!!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Ok, be gentle with me this is my very first post. Went for a run this morning and my calves were sli...