non couch to 5k

1 watcher
Jan 2015
1:32pm, 4 Jan 2015
23,599 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & HappyNewG(rrr)
Surely most important thing is non-running training - specific strengthening exercises to ensure that the knee is stable, supported and not going to be damaged by running.

Any running will be bad for it if it is weak or still damaged - running is weight bearing unlike cycling, high impact, unlike walking etc. so it needs a full rehab process. A physio could advise. I wouldn't recommend to go to running unless fully confident that the knee is OK.

If knee is strong enough, then a gentle progressive build up running plan would be fine. I would go even more conservatively than C25K personally, and seriously consider physio/GP support to monitor e.g. 2 weekly/monthly, how knee is reacting? Best of luck though. :-) G
Jan 2015
1:45pm, 4 Jan 2015
9,488 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Does he know what specifically is wrong with his knee? My thought would be much what you suggested, taking it easy but at a level appropriate to his current fitness, and that he won't be really frustrated with. The other thing is he won't know till he has a go.
Jan 2015
1:53pm, 4 Jan 2015
297 posts
  •  
andydgg
Isn't this one of the usual excuses non runners come up with for not running? How does he know running is going to hurt his knee? bit like going the doctors and saying I'm going to hurt my knee because I'm going to start running can you give me something for it, think the doc will tell you to get out and come back when it's hurting;...I'd have thought, start running a c25k, and if it hurts his knee then see docs or ask here... I've been running 8 years and I don't want to go out tomorrow because it might hurt my knee, or my calf, or my back, or my arm or my head...
Jan 2015
2:44pm, 4 Jan 2015
1,866 posts
  •  
Drell
No this is not one of the usual excuses. He wants to run. He is worried because he's had big problems with the knee in the past, has had to give a sport he really enjoyed because of it (squash), and found that when he first started serious walking the knee was aggravated. He is not scared of exercise, and does masses of stationary biking and some core work. The point is that he is not a couch potato, wants to run and has reason to believe that doing so might aggravate an old injury, and we are looking for ways of managing that risk.
Jan 2015
2:46pm, 4 Jan 2015
1,867 posts
  •  
Drell
The specific knee exercises are a good idea and I have pointed him at that page. Thanks :-)

And he's decided to give it a go, taking it carefully and noticing what it feels like.
Jan 2015
2:54pm, 4 Jan 2015
18,509 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I look forward to scanning a new bar code on a Saturday in the not too distant future :-)
Jan 2015
3:15pm, 4 Jan 2015
298 posts
  •  
andydgg
it's going to hurt anyway because it's new high impact sport, squash is fast bursts of stop twists and turns cycling is zero impact so different risks. slow and listen to what the body's saying I suppose is the way to go
Jan 2015
4:06pm, 4 Jan 2015
12 posts
  •  
falcarius
As someone who was knee problems I recommend stair running, cycling, leg lifts, and squats. The stronger ones legs are then there will be less stress on the knee when running.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Drell
Anyone have any advice for a pretty fit person who wants to start running, but is worried about thei...