No Pain...

1 watcher
May 2017
11:30am, 2 May 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
JasonSevern
I'm new to FetchEveryone so hey :)

So here is my question, I have been running for a couple of weeks and everything was going well and still is to some extent. The issue i'm having is the past two run my shins and calves have become extremely tight to the point where i have to stop running. I feel like i am warming up and stretching properly but maybe i'm not. I don't have any pain after or discomfort in my shins or calves and i am training for a 10k run for charity in June so wondered if there was any one here that could give me some clue of what step to take next to stop my this happening. Yesterday i didn't even break a sweat on my run and could of run a lot further if it wasn't for my shins and calves getting so tight.
May 2017
11:52am, 2 May 2017
2,740 posts
  •  
Lemon10
Hi Jason and welcome to Fetch! Well done on the running so far and hats off for entering at 10k, its a nice distance. Now I am clueless on things like this so I don't have the answers for you but Fetch is a wonderful place full of people with loads of experience so I am sure one of them will be along just as soon as they get on their lunch breaks or when their boss leaves the office, or whatever! I just wanted to say Hi and welcome! :-)
May 2017
11:54am, 2 May 2017
2 posts
  •  
JasonSevern
Thank you Lemon, Glad to be here and i'm really looking forward the 10k, So far i have only done Park runs so i think it's going to be a nice challenge. Just need to get rid of the tight shins haha
May 2017
11:55am, 2 May 2017
3 posts
  •  
JasonSevern
Thank you Lemon, Glad to be here and i'm really looking forward the 10k, So far i have only done Park runs so i think it's going to be a nice challenge. Just need to get rid of the tight shins haha
May 2017
1:11pm, 2 May 2017
12,939 posts
  •  
mulbs
welcome to Fetch, I've suffered from shinsplints when I've gone into training a bit gung ho or changed shoes to ones that didn't work for me but I've not had what you describe - the tightness but no pain . . . does it ease up as you get over the mile mark or not?
May 2017
1:20pm, 2 May 2017
13,549 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Welcome to Fetch, Jason :-). I got shin splints (the tightness over the shin) when I bought new shoes and ran faster. It is a swelling and there is very little spare skin to stretch over the shin. Try icing them in some way after a run - rolling a cold drinks can over can work well.

Which admittedly doesn't help you during the run. I wonder if you might be running a bit stiff-legged? Also, if you are not even breaking sweat, are you fairly fit from other sports/activities? Maybe you are faster that you think and need to slow down a bit more until your legs are used to it.
May 2017
2:39pm, 2 May 2017
22,483 posts
  •  
HellsBells
it sounds a bit daft, but are you lacing your shoes too tightly? I find my shins settle down if I loosen my laces a bit
May 2017
3:50pm, 2 May 2017
4 posts
  •  
JasonSevern
While doing the park run it eased after the half way mark but yesterday it was so tight i didn't want to run through it in case i did any damage. I work in a job where i am on my feet for 9 hours a day so that could contribute to my fitness i guess but other than that just running and walking is the only healthy activity i do.

I was so disappointed yesterday as i set out to go for a nice run and having to stop after 2.5k without being tired because of my shins was quite annoying.

I may be running to fast but it sure doesn't feel like it if i'm honest, It takes me around 30 minutes to do 5k, 28 minutes being my fastest. Maybe i should try slowing down a bit more and see if that helps.

I will check the laces on my trainers and see if having them a bit looser helps.

It always happens almost immediately so is it possible i'm not warming up enough or doing the correct stretches?

Thank you so much for the replies and help as well, I didn't know who to ask as nobody i know as the same issues so finding a forum with such helpful members is amazing!
May 2017
4:09pm, 2 May 2017
10,530 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hi - and welcome to Fetch. As a comparative beginner you are probably trying to do too much a little too quickly - it's very easy to get carried away with enthusiasm! At this stage all your running - and certainly at least 80% of it - should be at a very easy pace, and that means at least a minute or two per mile slower than your 'best effort pace' - so I would suggest aiming for your 5k to take nearer 33-35 minutes unless you are aiming to push yourself. You probably don't warm-up enough - few of us do! Try 5 minutes of brisk walking before you start running - heel & toe walks are also good for your calf muscles. Make sure you have rest days to allow your muscles to adapt to what you're demanding of them and don't add more than 10% of your total weekly mileage to any one run as you build up to the 10k. If you haven't already, it could be worth checking that your shoes are a good fit and offer enough support/cushioning. Good luck :)
May 2017
4:14pm, 2 May 2017
5 posts
  •  
JasonSevern
Thanks Autumn, Ill be sure to check out my shoes, I use them for work as well so it is possible they have worn quite a bit. Today is my rest day so i will go for a run tomorrow using the help i got here and see if it helps. I will let you guys know how i get on. Thanks for the help :)

About This Thread

Maintained by JasonSevern
I'm new to FetchEveryone so hey :)

So here is my question, I have been running for a couple of w...