Nissen fundoplication op

2 watchers
Aug 2012
4:44pm, 4 Aug 2012
163 posts
  •  
Hellybob
I have had lots of tests over the last few years due to stomach problems, chest and throat pain. I have been diagnosed with severe acid reflux as my lower sphincter stomach valve doesn't work properly.

I have had all the usually tests to determine if I would be suitable for surgery and I am now on a waiting list for the Nissen funoplication.

Has anyone had this done and how long was it after surgery that they started back running. My surgeon said he would have thought I would be up and running, as it were, after four weeks. This doesn't seem like long to me.
Aug 2012
5:01pm, 4 Aug 2012
13,560 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Laparoscopic (keyhole) or open?

If its open, you will feel ropey for a good while (3months?).
Laparoscopic and I would have thought a month sounds reasonable.
Aug 2012
5:57pm, 4 Aug 2012
164 posts
  •  
Hellybob
It will be laparoscopic so that's good if I can be back shuffling a month.

Thanks a lot.
Aug 2012
6:28pm, 4 Aug 2012
15,285 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
My little lad had one when he was 3. It was open surgery. He was up and jumping around in his hospital cot within an hour of waking up. But he is quite an extraordinary little lad :-)

With the problems he had it was an immensely successful operation and probably saved his life. Good luck, I hope it turns out well for you.
Aug 2012
10:54pm, 4 Aug 2012
12,295 posts
  •  
Ultra Sparkly Bridget
I've only known it done for children I'm afraid
Sep 2012
2:49pm, 19 Sep 2012
307 posts
  •  
monkey harris
Hello hellybob ,im not the only one then lol, im awaitinghe same surgery too,took them 3years to find the problem,they arr going to do a half wrap on me through keyhole,the doc said i should be ok to run 6 weeks after. Have you any date for it to be done yet ?
Sep 2012
1:32pm, 28 Sep 2012
10,222 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
my daughter had a nissens done at Leeds...all I can say is she recovered quickly, although is left with a rather large scar.
Oct 2012
9:17am, 18 Oct 2012
165 posts
  •  
Hellybob
Sorry, I've just seen that there are replies to this. I had my pre op assessment on Monday so it has to be within 6 weeks. I just want to get on with it now as it seems to be getting worse and worse.

Monkey I know what you mean about trying to find the problem. I have various heart and lung test and them was told I had asthma which I knew was not right.
Oct 2012
9:36am, 18 Oct 2012
5,284 posts
  •  
Footpad
LOL at the 'has to be within 6 weeks' comment. Chase them up frequently if you want this to happen in that time. Remember the NHS is a great institution but getting things done on time takes a little bit of perseverance and the odd reminder phone call!!
Oct 2012
1:34pm, 23 Oct 2012
166 posts
  •  
Hellybob
Got a call yesterday and I'm booked in for 16th Nov. Yikes!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I have had lots of tests over the last few years due to stomach problems, chest and throat pain. I h...