Nike Milton Keynes Half Marathon 2012

8 watchers
Mar 2012
11:07am, 5 Mar 2012
6,068 posts
  •  
Lumsdoni
I have to say, I was not best pleased with the price or organisation of this race.

I will say the Marshalls were absolutely fantastic in horrendous conditions and were still clapping and cheering us, and at one point we were right at the back.

However, when we finished, with a good 50 or so behind us, we got a medal. It appeared they had run out of space blankets, and I think those at the end REALLY needed them. And not even a banana, or anything to eat. In fact the finish line was so low key we weren't even sure we had finished. I won't be running it again.

Nothing to do with the weather, The course is dull, and the finish duller. I ran the July one a few years back and it was a lot better.
Mar 2012
11:17am, 5 Mar 2012
560 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
Lumsdoni - How can you miss a great big yellow blow-up finish line? ;-) but I know what you mean... it lacked the spectacle that it had a few years ago. Plus I'm also confused about how it's supposedly sponsored by Nike when I didn't see a swoosh anywhere... and for that price, they could have at least stretched to a goodie bag.

Seems a lot of us agree that the course is dull, dull, dull though.
Mar 2012
11:58am, 5 Mar 2012
18,741 posts
  •  
Frobester
Moral of the story: avoid high-cost races sponsored by big corporate giants if you want a pleasurable running experience. If you just want to do it to say you did it, and won't be running much again, off you go.
Mar 2012
12:21pm, 5 Mar 2012
327 posts
  •  
Brian G
Didnt do the Half, I did the 10k. At £14 for the 10K I thought it was good value, course was nice (apart from Hill) and marshalls gave us a cheer all the way round.
Mar 2012
12:27pm, 5 Mar 2012
6,069 posts
  •  
Lumsdoni
I don't think the blow up finish line was still blown up when we finished.

It was just some crash barriers.
Mar 2012
12:31pm, 5 Mar 2012
2,582 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
i didnt see any space blankets... bloody could have done with one...d2d your comment on the ink running..without looking at mine coz im not at home i thought the medal was just metal???
Mar 2012
2:46pm, 5 Mar 2012
First-time poster!!
  •  
Geoff new
Hi All

Was marshaling myself on the half marathon course just before the 5 mile point then later at 11.5 miles by the cross keys pub, thought although the weather was pants, the spirit of all the runners was top notch, and this made it a pleasure for me as a marshall, well done to all
Mar 2012
8:31pm, 5 Mar 2012
1,586 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
I throughly enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting the Hanging Garden of Babylon whilst on the course. It is Milton Keynes after all. I'll be back I guess at some stage. Not sure avoiding big corporate sponsored events will aid or increase your running enjoyment.
Mar 2012
11:48am, 6 Mar 2012
5,113 posts
  •  
Footpad
Welcome to Fetch Geoff and thank you for marshalling!! The weather was a bit pants and standing around must have been worse than running in it!

The medal issues with 'ink' running. I think that is a shadow and is part of the design. Gives it a 3D sort of look :-)
Mar 2012
1:22pm, 6 Mar 2012
2,584 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Yeah I had a look at the medal and thought the same !

About This Thread

Maintained by runningmumof3boys
just booked on...has anybody done this before??does it have PB potential??