Night sky aka Star gazing aka Astronomy :-)

29 watchers
Jul 2020
2:12am, 20 Jul 2020
4,583 posts
  •  
ferret
I agree, :-) a spectacular view of neowise comet tonight from just above south coast Weymouth despite being amongst street lights - might be why I need binoculars.
Jul 2020
2:17am, 20 Jul 2020
1,370 posts
  •  
xt350 🇳🇿
Unfortunately we can't see it this far south... But hopefully in a few weeks time 👍
Jul 2020
11:28am, 20 Jul 2020
198 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
We had a great view of Neowise last night from the Borders. The light northern sky doesn't help and the best view was after midnight. The tail is much longer than I expected. It was just visible to the naked eye but extraordinary with binoculars. The skies are dark here.

The telescope is under the bed and it'll have to be dragged out and space found - groan. Saturn and Jupiter have been fantastically bright in the late evening southern sky and last night had the added bonus of the ISS on a long passage in front of them.
Jul 2020
1:38pm, 20 Jul 2020
35,650 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Was that Jupiter in the south ZTP? I couldn't believe how bright! With bins only I'm sure I spotted one of the moons (well, a tiny spec!). It was clearly a disc though, even in my bins.

Must get my a*se out after midnight to try and spot Neowise. Past my bedtime. I've looked at window from bedroom when up in night a couple times, but that's not really committed! :-) G
Jul 2020
1:57pm, 20 Jul 2020
12,940 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Saturn is close to Jupiter at the moment, also very bright.

Neowise is getting dimmer each day, and the moon will start to interfere in the next few days, so better make the most of any cloud-free nights. If you find the plough/big dipper and then go down and right, it's fairly easy to spot with binoculars, with its tail pointing straight upwards.
Nov 2020
4:32pm, 4 Nov 2020
36,320 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It's arrived! At last, my Skywatcher 200. It's... big! It's floor standing, no tripod and the eyepiece is only a bit bending down! Only looked at moon from indoors so far but it's amazing. I couldn't get Mars quite lined up, but looking forward to playing more. :-) G
Nov 2020
5:23pm, 4 Nov 2020
13,382 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Good time to look at Mars - it's really noticeable in the night sky at the moment.
Nov 2020
12:29pm, 5 Nov 2020
18,959 posts
  •  
Gooner
Nice G, one day when I manage to move away from the heavy light pollution I'd love to get myself one.
Dec 2021
11:18am, 15 Dec 2021
8,879 posts
  •  
GordonG
anyone else getting excited about the James Webb (finally!) being launched this month? fingers and toes crossed there are no launch disasters.
Dec 2021
12:15pm, 15 Dec 2021
3,048 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Yes G, I have my NASA virtual launch ticket booked :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Anyone else interested in astronomy?

I saw a shooting star last night and had a wee google to see...