Newport Marathon

1 lurker | 10 watchers
Nov 2017
10:13am, 2 Nov 2017
2,063 posts
  •  
Sweetie
I love the Lliswerry 8, it is not the most awe inspiring scenery but it has the cheeriest marshalls you could find at any race, ever.

Perhaps if the Newport marathon has lots of cheery marshalls it could be good? (trying to be positive here as my son has entered it as his first marathon)
Nov 2017
10:28am, 2 Nov 2017
7 posts
  •  
Mokshaeight
Wilderover, yes I do mean Lliswerry 8 , have been running for 30+ years and can honestly say it is the most boring race that I have ever run. But horses for courses.
Nov 2017
10:35am, 2 Nov 2017
8 posts
  •  
Mokshaeight
I think I should add that I wish the organisers all the best with this , but I will be choosing another race, just based on the route, Sorry Steve B.
Nov 2017
11:21am, 2 Nov 2017
6,088 posts
  •  
The_Saint
In fairness the Lliswerry 8 sells out approx 30 minutes after registration opens, the only reason I haven't run it in recent years is that it tends to be the next day after a winter series fell race I always do.
Nov 2017
11:46am, 2 Nov 2017
9 posts
  •  
Mokshaeight
Saint , if you are a regular South wales fell runner, then we know each other for sure.
Nov 2017
12:09pm, 2 Nov 2017
10 posts
  •  
Mokshaeight
Hi Dom it's Roy S, how is life in Cardiff mate .
Nov 2017
12:43pm, 2 Nov 2017
6,089 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Hi Roy I was just talking to Bob, I couldn't work out what your username said then I recalled seeing the same name on Runners World when looking for the old thread about the farcical Newport Marathon "held" about 7 years ago. Sugar Loaf last weekend, nothing changes, I was garbage going up and overtook 18 going down. Night Sugar Loaf race coming up twitter.com
Nov 2017
5:12pm, 2 Nov 2017
11 posts
  •  
Mokshaeight
Good to hear from you mate. How is Bob ? tell her I miss her and hope all is fine. I am going to run my one and only fell / hill race in Dec the Skirrid, hope to see you then . Yes you are dam fast going down hill the steeper the quicker.
Apr 2018
12:32am, 5 Apr 2018
22 posts
  •  
T Rex
Nursing a knee injury, a flat course is just what I need at the moment so looking forward to this one. It will be interesting to see how well the organisation goes in this new event with such (surprisingly) large numbers.

I would think car parking will be an issue but I shall avoid it by running to the start from my house.
Apr 2018
2:47pm, 5 Apr 2018
4,018 posts
  •  
WildeRover
They apparently are using some placed called the Office for National Statistics for Park & Ride purposes...charging something like £7.

Personally, given my experiences of marathons, I can't think of much worse after a marathon than having to stand in a queue for a shuttle bus back to my car (except maybe having to walk 2.5 miles back to my car).

About This Thread

Maintained by WildeRover
Run 4 Wales have abandoned their plans for a Cardiff Marathon and switched to a Newport one instead....