Newport Marathon 2018

9 watchers
Oct 2017
5:13pm, 4 Oct 2017
3,988 posts
  •  
WildeRover
Run 4 Wales have abandoned their plans for a Cardiff Marathon and switched to a Newport one instead.

29 April - hoover up London rejections.
Oct 2017
6:18pm, 4 Oct 2017
6,070 posts
  •  
The_Saint
That reminds me of something else, did I dream this ? runnersworld.co.uk
Oct 2017
6:27pm, 4 Oct 2017
1,916 posts
  •  
Sweetie
It's great to have another option - but I did resent the way Run4wales implied that they were offering something really novel by hosting a marathon when there are several marathons in wales already - Snowdon, Tenby, Llanelli, Merthyr, there are probably more...
Oct 2017
8:59pm, 4 Oct 2017
3,989 posts
  •  
WildeRover
If anyone did get the Run4Wales email....

Yes, that is a photo from the Cardiff Half that has been photoshopped with Newport Marathon race numbers etc

And yes, that surprisingly handsome and rugged runner no. 2209 is wearing a red Fetch buff.
Oct 2017
10:28pm, 4 Oct 2017
6,072 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I have seen the email now Bob, the Photoshopping is very odd but were you asked if you minded being the face of the Newport Marathon?
With the Newport (Redwick) Marathon I refer to, can anyone find any results? There is a link to a rather dated web page but nothing relevant on there.
Oct 2017
10:58pm, 4 Oct 2017
3,990 posts
  •  
WildeRover
Who better to be the face of the Newport Marathon than someone who isn’t going to run it?
Oct 2017
11:09am, 31 Oct 2017
6,086 posts
  •  
The_Saint
The route has been published, obviously this course has been designed to be as flat as possible but the tradeoff is that the scenery is not inspiring newportwalesmarathon.co.uk
Nov 2017
9:21am, 2 Nov 2017
6 posts
  •  
Mokshaeight
Part of the route is the Magor 8. The only race that I have ever run that has made me want to give up running.
Nov 2017
9:36am, 2 Nov 2017
4,000 posts
  •  
WildeRover
Magor 8?

Do you mean Lliswerry 8 (which it does a few miles of on the way out and the rest on the way back, or Magor Marsh 10k (also wildlife trust 10k) which it does a couple of miles of just before half way, which similarly includes part of the Rose Inn circuit. Whichever, all of those races are noted for their flatness.

Lliswerry 8 markets itself as possibly the flattest 8 mile on the planet. Everyone remembers with amusement the one "hill" on the route, where you go over a bridge over a drainage ditch with an elevation change of about 4-5 ft.

Either way, a large chunk of this is on those kinds of completely and utterly flat and non-descript country lanes.

You would be hard pushed to get a course that is going to be flatter than this. One hill of only 50ft, two crossings of the A48 SDR bridge over the Usk and one railway bridge in Magor (the other crossing of the railway is included in the 50ft hill).

The rest isn't just quite flat, or fairly flat, or mostly flat, it is flat flat.

I would also argue that you would be hard pushed to get a course that is going to be duller than this. Your main excuse for not getting a PB would be falling into a coma through boredom somewhere around Goldcliff.
Nov 2017
10:01am, 2 Nov 2017
6,087 posts
  •  
The_Saint
They need roadside hoardings illustrated with scenery from say Stage 7 of the Castles Relay

About This Thread

Maintained by WildeRover
Run 4 Wales have abandoned their plans for a Cardiff Marathon and switched to a Newport one instead....