New waterproof or Re-waterproof

2 watchers
Mar 2012
3:34pm, 7 Mar 2012
58,165 posts
  •  
GregP
I have an Altura Nightvision jacket which I love, but that is a very different animal.

As a small packable jersey-pocket job, I have one of these:

wiggle.co.uk

It is *dreadful* although I bought mine for cheap from Evans on the Wharf. Hammerite has one of them too - and he also hates it, IIRC.
Mar 2012
3:38pm, 7 Mar 2012
4,496 posts
  •  
The Pilotlight
never known anything to keep you dry, either rain leaks in or sweat leaks out... as long as you are warm is main thing for me. for 100squid I would expect better. did you use nixwax products?
Mar 2012
3:39pm, 7 Mar 2012
12,507 posts
  •  
hellen
I have the pink nightvision one, love it
Mar 2012
3:41pm, 7 Mar 2012
12,508 posts
  •  
hellen
I did use nikwax but put 4 garnets in the machine and didn't do the pre wash. Also didn't put enough liquid in cos of technical problems ( on phone so too long to type)
Am doing it properly now. It had its pre wash last night then it's re proofing tonight
Mar 2012
5:09pm, 7 Mar 2012
8,431 posts
  •  
Pootle
How do you re-waterproof something? I have a lovely Sugoi Versa jacket whick is meant to be waterproof but I went out in it this weekend and, like Hellen, I ended up soaked to the skin :-(

It says on the jacket to wash it normally at 30 degrees with regular detergent, but clearly that's wrong because it's only been washed once and it did not work this weekend at all.

Looked at re-waterproofing stuff but don't really know where to start.
Mar 2012
5:37pm, 7 Mar 2012
3,155 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I have a goretex paclite biking jacket that I wore on Sunday and I was wet all over by the end of 2.5 hours, it was either sweat or rain that soaked up my tights, or whatever went down my back. Best off not running for that long in the rain, so far as I can see.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
I have a quite expensive marmot waterproof jacket (approx£100) which I tend to save for really bad ...