New UKA road running rules - now with added headphone bans!!

28 watchers
Dec 2016
8:08pm, 6 Dec 2016
1,433 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm sure it has been done. I'm also equally sure that it technically isn't allowed, but that's a matter for the Brathay trust to resolve. Looking at their website it seems they are more concerned about runners getting illegal support from cars or people wearing rollerskates as that is the only UKA rules they refer to explicitly!
May 2018
2:59pm, 14 May 2018
13 posts
  •  
Smugbloke
Obviously I'm joining this debate late in. but I'll add other thoughts.

I definitely agree to ban headphones and preferably throughout all races.

Firstly
Running in an event isn't just a test of your fitness/legs/lungs. It's also a test of your mental resolve. Not hiding in the latest Beyoncé album.
If people say they cannot run with lack of music, then they've lost quite frankly. Maybe strong in legs but weak in mind.

Secondly
In bigger races it's not just the runners but the spectators. They may have been camped out there for hours cheering the runners on and those with headphones just ignore them. Isn't it nice just to say thanks or acknowledge a spectator or marshal who give you a bit of encouragement. It's just rude and ignorant to trudge past like a zombie after all the effort they too have put in.

Thirdly
It's not just safety against cars or marshal instructions. It is sometimes a bit crowded under foot and a runner asks to just come through on the left/whatever. Can't be done if ignoramus headphone wearer can't hear your request.

So they are great for training but if you're not mentally fit enough to do the event, then don't do it.
May 2018
4:37pm, 14 May 2018
11,098 posts
  •  
paul a
Well said.
May 2018
5:21pm, 14 May 2018
48,659 posts
  •  
swittle
I'd be hiding *from* the latest Beyoncé album.
May 2018
7:31pm, 14 May 2018
14,412 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Me too switts!
May 2018
7:57pm, 14 May 2018
921 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
fetcheveryone: unless you enjoy listening to music whilst you run.
May 2018
10:08pm, 14 May 2018
14,414 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I do enjoy listening to music while I run, I love going out, plugging in, and listening away.

I still wouldn't wear ear/headphones in a race for safety and courtesy reasons though.

As an aside, I thought of this thread at the weekend as I was dawdling along in the car, on a country lane, behind a runner not only wearing earphones and seemingly unaware of me but also running on the left.
May 2018
11:52pm, 14 May 2018
2,932 posts
  •  
mr d
Agree with you in principle Smugbloke, just on the safety issue. In a big field or on a narrow course wearing headphones

However loads of people wear them at my local Parkrun oddly it never seems to cause a problem even though it can be crowded and narrow, especially on a tight twisty path that drops down just before the finish.

I never used to run with music until the last 4-5 months, occasionally I would have one ear listening to a podcast or football whist running. I now have some of those fancy bone conducting headphones from my last birthday, so they aren't in your ears . The sound isn't as good, but it's a happy medium.

If I have had a crap day at work, they mainly have been during that period, instead of going over it and ruining my run, the music blocks those thoughts and I can just get on with it.

At the end of the day it's a personal choice when training, but in a race situation you could mess up another persons day if you can't hear what's going on around you.
May 2018
12:07am, 15 May 2018
6,222 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Smugbloke. My only problem is that I could only give your post one plus rather than the million it deserves. As for not causing a problem at parkrun, any time I am clipped or barged I don't even have to guess if the person is wearing headphones, they will be every. single. time.
May 2018
12:29am, 15 May 2018
2,933 posts
  •  
mr d
Just my experience Saint.

I don't wear headphones at Parkrun never would and I remember it's a time trial so I leave space for people I know are going faster than me. Seeing my son get deliberately blocked on the last turn by a middle aged man and miss his pb by a second nearly made me lose the spirit of Parkrun. If he'd been wearing headphones he wouldn't have heard Jnr catching up.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Arguably "about time" something was included in the official rule book about this, but no doubt co...