New Training Log Prototype

17 watchers
Jan 2018
10:34am, 12 Jan 2018
329 posts
  •  
Claypole
This new splits idea has me a bit baffled!

The length of my splits seems to vary for the distance of each run.
I know we can manually adjust this so I am ok with that.

Does anyone know if there is a way of getting the splits as you dictate them on your watch, e/g/ 1 min...?

:-)
Jan 2018
10:41am, 12 Jan 2018
3,698 posts
  •  
larkim
You can of course change the splits manually. But that's what I'd prefer to be able to control as a default. Either by default set the splits to be the ones recorded on the watch, or set the splits by default to be ones that you choose on the FE site (I get the impression that the first option is actually quite tricky to code across different devices, and might have unintended consequences on graphs for example if uneven splits were used when manual lapping etc.)

I never lose sight of how good a site this is or how burdensome "moaning" might be on Fetch, so these issues for me are raised in a spirit of saying what I feel without me feeling I have a right to demand resolution, but it does feel that controlling the default splits a bit better is something that more than just I would find useful.
Jan 2018
11:11am, 12 Jan 2018
2,056 posts
  •  
StuH
Apparently splits/laps as recorded on the device would break the graphs... I think that's what Fetch said. They are still recorded in the 'notes'.
Jan 2018
11:19am, 12 Jan 2018
3,699 posts
  •  
larkim
That sounds about right Stu, I can see why that might happen.

Would still like to be able to default the view to a split of my choosing (in my case I'd take miles) so that the splits table is more meaningful on first view.
Jan 2018
11:28am, 12 Jan 2018
330 posts
  •  
Claypole
Yes quite agree Larkim

Good point Stu - we can still see them in the notes, I'd forgotten about that.

I think it's my ego that likes to see if I have run something a little quicker over a short distance really...LOL...
Jan 2018
11:32am, 12 Jan 2018
2,057 posts
  •  
StuH
TBH I keep the splits collapsed for the most part.
Jan 2018
1:09pm, 12 Jan 2018
2,470 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I like the new way.

You get the splits as recorded on the watch in the Notes, and I display the line graph, rather than the bar chart, so it looks similar to the old view, and it's easier to show change in pace I feel on the graph than the barchart. The smaller splits smooths out the graph which is a good thing in my view.

I agree with one of your points from yesterday larks that the beats per mile rolling average graph is pretty useless as it always just looks like a flat line even when bpm is changing. I'd prefer this to be a non-rolling graph, ie just a line graph of the actual bpm values
Jan 2018
4:16pm, 17 Jan 2018
18,890 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Attention split critics :-)

If you go to your training log i.e. this page:

fetcheveryone.com/training.php

and click the little cog next to the bit in the title that says 'Your Training Log'...

you can untick "Use smart splits for training entries".

When you view your training entries, they should be split by miles, or by kilometres, depending on your choice of units. None of this "25-ish" new-fangled smart malarky.

If that works ok, it'd be great if you could do two things for me:

1) rethink your viewpoint on the new training format in the poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=6179

2) either (a) stop visiting the old format log, or (b) post to say why you still use it.
Jan 2018
4:41pm, 17 Jan 2018
3,723 posts
  •  
larkim
Ooohh!!! :-)

And suppressing "planned" activities from the log too - it must be my birthday!!

Reviewed my scoring too - up to "good" now!
Jan 2018
10:21pm, 17 Jan 2018
369 posts
  •  
bonners
Just been having a look and comparing and contrasting before making a comment. For me, I prefer the overall look and feel of the old log. I was trying to work out what it was that I was missing, and being able to see the pace bands in a bar chart would appear to have disappeared. Plus everything else, especially on pc is bigger.

The pace bands on the new version do not actually tell you what they are, it is hidden in a back screen, which also means when I want to have a look at different pace bands I have to keep flicking between screens and then remembering what I've done. On the old version this was straightforward and something I found interesting, especially when looking at how I've ran in races, tempo runs etc..

I also preferred the scrolling pace showing up above the elevation chart on pc, again, when looking at how I'm doing up hills, this is far easier to look at and gauge how I'm progressing. I also liked the rolling pace for the run and also the pace at that time.

So yes, the splits thing is an improvement, but overall, the only thing I find better on the new log is the ability to expand the map, which is especially useful when looking at runs on pc, oh, and I reckon I'll also get to like putting pictures in, I've already tried one and it looks good on the pc.

Having said all that, I'll learn to live with it, if you look at the poll, almost 80% think the new log is at least good, so I would say I'm in the distinct minority and you cant always please everyone. I'll cope :D

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Try the new training prototype.

Vote in the poll: fetcheveryone.com/polls-view.php?id=6179

Check my blog for more updates / history: fetcheveryone.com/blog/3