New parkrun startup funding advice needed

7 watchers
Feb 2019
7:21pm, 3 Feb 2019
39 posts
  •  
shyfire
Interesting re the HA option thanks D. That's a fancy defibrillator at £4k mind.
Feb 2019
8:08pm, 3 Feb 2019
134 posts
  •  
Dougie.
For our junior parkrun, we approached a housing developer who was building big new estates on the edge of town. They had a large community fund and were looking for opportunities so we're happy to fund in full. That was three years ago so don't know what the rules are now, but we just put acknowledgements on the website and thanked them in run reports for the first year.
Feb 2019
8:18pm, 3 Feb 2019
40 posts
  •  
shyfire
Thanks Dougie, good to hear there is a precedent for that option.
Feb 2019
8:35pm, 3 Feb 2019
1,677 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I am on a start up committee, we got half from our local council (Aberdeenshire) and half from our local community council fund.
Feb 2019
8:40pm, 3 Feb 2019
1,678 posts
  •  
Lesley C
The council have a pot of money for these type of sports activities. The community pot comes from a local wind farm project which puts money back into the community.

We just applied for the amount to the council. One of committee went to a community council meeting to talk about the proposal. Wasn’t too difficult to get their support.

We made sure the National Trust we’re willing to let us use the estate before we applied for the money.
Feb 2019
9:15pm, 3 Feb 2019
41 posts
  •  
shyfire
Thanks Lesley. Councils in Aberdeenshire sound very accommodating hopefully our local council will be just as supportive :-)
Feb 2019
9:24pm, 3 Feb 2019
1,679 posts
  •  
Lesley C
All the best with your start up 🙂
Feb 2019
9:55pm, 3 Feb 2019
6,407 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
We got all our from the council as well (Wokingham Borough Council). I reached out to the Head of Health (or some title like that) in Berkshire and he knew about parkrun and funded it straight away. Speak to the Event Directors of local parkruns and they will have contacts at the council. Good luck!
Mar 2019
1:53pm, 2 Mar 2019
First-time poster!!
  •  
Louiseruns
I think you're allowed to mention major donors in pre-run briefings for a while after start-up (can't remember where I saw that, but it was when I was looking for funding for my Junior parkrun).

Do you have any major races near you? One of the options we used was approaching the organisers of our local half marathon, who have a charity fund for local projects. They were more than happy to help out, and, of course, if you have parkrun you can plug local races, so it's good for them.

In the end, though, the local council is going to give us the money - it helps that our local councillor runs our adult course sometimes, and follows me on Strava...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by shyfire
I'm on a core team trying to set up a new parkrun and we're now at the boring but essentia...