New Garmin recommendations

12 watchers
Sep 2013
6:37pm, 16 Sep 2013
403 posts
  •  
Mouseytongue
My 610's battery was dead this morning, so rather that wait for it to charge I borrowed my wife's 210. Have to say I was pretty impressed. Not so many bells and whistles, but found the stattalite quickly and displayed all the info you need. Have to say the new 620 looks pretty fab.
Sep 2013
8:16pm, 16 Sep 2013
1,012 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
620 looks good to me too - wonder if that has the vibrate alert thing too - beeps are no good to me (deaf) but vibrate would be
Sep 2013
8:55pm, 16 Sep 2013
3,869 posts
  •  
Badger
620 and 220 both have vibration alerts.
Sep 2013
9:47pm, 16 Sep 2013
1,013 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
:-)
Sep 2013
9:00am, 17 Sep 2013
95 posts
  •  
hopisen
The 620 hrm-run thing does look incredible- I can imagine trying to change my cadence/time foot spent on ground...

But why are Garmin leaving out ability to follow courses on their running watches? One of my favourite things on my 305 if i'm in a new place is to grab a running route from somewhere, or design one, then send it the 305 so I can follow a breadcrumb trail and not get lost. It's great for doing smaller races too, where there's a chance of taking a wrong turning. If the 305 can do this how come the new watches can't?

Seems bit odd - like they're arbitrarily forcing you to choose between forerunner and fenix: I can't imagine the ability to do courses would harm fenix sales that much though, as that offers so much more for the seriously outdoors type.
Sep 2013
10:50am, 17 Sep 2013
3,872 posts
  •  
Badger
I think from Garmin's point of view, the 310xt and 910xt are the real successors to the 305 and they do support courses. So you don't actually have to go to fenix for that.
That said, the support is woeful. If you are very careful how you prep your file (which means not using any Garmin software to make it, just for starters) then it will show you a line you can actually follow. If not, it will disappear from the screen when you need it most. Course support has got worse and worse since the 305 was discontinued.
Many great things about Garmin, but if another firm produced something which did those things equally well and did a decent job of supporting courses, I'd be off. I don't think they realise how much it matters to customers like you and me.
Sep 2013
2:43pm, 17 Sep 2013
96 posts
  •  
hopisen
Ah, right I see what you mean- I didn't realise the 310/910 had courses, as I sort of thought of them as 'triathletes special edition' of the other watches!

seems odd to have a watch that does so much, and then to maybe need to take your phone with you to look at a course...

Mind you, I suppose what it does do is pretty incredible and I should focus on that. The VO2 max thing is cool, and the workout stuff sounds really nicely integrated. . Though to be honest, I much rather have courses than social media integration, I don't really want to tweet a whole load of people who couldn't care less about my workout! Maybe most people never get lost...
Sep 2013
2:58pm, 17 Sep 2013
3,873 posts
  •  
Badger
I use courses for long runs training for marathons - I really appreciate knowing that my 20 miles will be just that, and maybe take in a few footpaths I've never checked out before. My OH really likes the idea of livetracking, though - she frets a bit when I disappear off for hours, and she'd find it reassuring to be able to check where I am and that I'm still moving
Sep 2013
3:15pm, 17 Sep 2013
739 posts
  •  
Moleshome
My OH also gets concerned about me being out running down country lanes on my own for hours at a time. Livetracking may be an extremely good way of justifying the purchase of a new Garmin. :-)
Sep 2013
3:35pm, 17 Sep 2013
97 posts
  •  
hopisen
Yes, that makes sense - hadn't thought about as a safety feature, but obvious now you mention it!

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrs Winkle
Sadly I think the time has come to bid farewell to my trusty old Garmin Forerunner 205 :( It's taki...