New Fetch Game: Hide and Seek

141 watchers
Mar 2020
4:48pm, 30 Mar 2020
23,626 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I'm hoping to release a new game within the next couple of days. Here's how it works:

You set your home point, and the game generates a big grid that's about five miles by five miles, with you at the centre. The grid will have approximately 10,000 squares in it, so each square will be about 80 metres in size.

During any given month, unlock as many of the squares from your grid as possible* by visiting them during your training. These are the places where you can 'hide'. Before the month is up, you must choose one of these squares as your hiding place.

When the new month begins, a lone seeker must start finding people, by visiting the squares. When someone is found, they become a seeker too. The seekers can then collaborate to flush out the hiders, and a growing army of seekers hunt down the final hiders.

The last person to be found will become the seeker for the following month.

The size of the grid, the number of squares therein, and the initial number of seekers may be subject to change, depending on how feasible this all is when I put the code together, and depending on how many of you like the idea - but I think the principle is good.

If you'd like to play, please click the Watch link on this thread.

*All CV19 permitting. Do the right thing, etc etc.
Mar 2020
4:52pm, 30 Mar 2020
31,698 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Sounds good. Will we know at the start how many people are hiding and then, gradually, how many are left to find?
Mar 2020
4:56pm, 30 Mar 2020
23,628 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Yeah, I reckon so. My aim is to get the grid of squares up in time so that we can start recording hiding spots from April 1st onwards, and build in the rest of the game by the end of April so that our first seeker can start seeking :-)
R4R
Mar 2020
4:59pm, 30 Mar 2020
3,240 posts
  •  
R4R
Who or what decides the lone seeker?
Mar 2020
4:59pm, 30 Mar 2020
23,630 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
"The last person to be found will become the seeker for the following month."

I might volunteer to be the first seeker :-)
R4R
Mar 2020
5:00pm, 30 Mar 2020
3,241 posts
  •  
R4R
i.e. the first lone seeker
Mar 2020
17,291 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
What if the seeker(s) don't find all the hiders before the end of the month?

What if the seeker(s) DO find all the hiders before the end of the month?
R4R
Mar 2020
3,242 posts
  •  
R4R
cross-post
Mar 2020
5:05pm, 30 Mar 2020
23,631 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
We'll do some fine-tuning, depending on how the first month goes. I've already looked at how far away five miles is, and thinking of reducing the size of the grid.

If all the hiders are found before the end of the month, then hooray for the seekers. The last person found will still be seeker next month. And if they don't, maybe all the unfound get to be seekers next time (to rebalance things), or maybe the game just continues until it's over. Who knows? :-)
Mar 2020
5:10pm, 30 Mar 2020
17,292 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
:)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Here's the barebones of the new game:

fetcheveryone.com/hideandseek.php

How it works
The game generates a big three mile square with you at the centre. The square is cut into a grid of 1600 smaller squares.

During any given, unlock as many squares from your grid as possible (C19 permitting) by visiting them during your training. These are the places where you can 'hide'. Before the month is up, you must choose one of these squares as your hiding place.

When the first game kicks off (1st of the month), a lone seeker must start finding people, by visiting the squares. When someone is found, they become a seeker too. The seekers can then collaborate to flush out the hiders, and a growing army of seekers hunt down the final hiders.

The last person to be found will become the seeker for the following month.

IMPORTANT
I am still building the game. Keep following this thread for updates as I make them.